Anyone still using Dreamweaver?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by steveash, Apr 21, 2011.

1. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

I have been a dreamweaver user for about 10 years and coming from a graphics background I loved the WYSIWYG interface. These days I only really use it in code view and although I still like the way it colours up the code, closes tags, allows drag and drop etc it seems to be a rather expensive notepad.

I have got to the point where I am thinking to upgrade my CS3 Design Premium to CS5.5 and was wondering if I really need Dreamweaver any more. Am I missing out on any great new features that would make my life easier? What are people using these days?

2. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

You don't actually need Dreamweaver, specially since you only use it in code view. There are much better and far cheaper editors available. I would suggest taking a look at and trying out the following:

TextMate
    Espresso
    Coda
    CSSEdit (for css files)

For FTP, both Coda and Espresso have the functionality built in but there are also great stand alone programs like Transmit and CyberDuck.

3. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I was using Dreamweaver just in code view for years, I finally made the switch to Coda on my work and home computers and am loving it. I started to really notice how bloated Dreamweaver was. Coda has the syntax coloring and code hints I liked in Dreamweaver but is much faster and has a better file manager.

4. HomeBru Studios macrumors member

HomeBru Studios

I switched to TextMate years ago and I've never looked back!

5. -pete- macrumors member

I use Dreamweaver but only the code view, I like the that you can FTP on save relatively easily (something which alot of IDEs don't seem to be able to handle), it makes life alot easier when testing live sites.

Netbeans seems okay, but I just hate pretty much everything written in java (excluding Minecraft ofc :D )

May try Coda at somepoint tho, looks very sexy...

6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

7. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

If I remember correctly, Espresso has this feature, you may want to check it out.

8. Synthion macrumors regular

I Do! Mostly because web design is a hobby and a side job and I get CS5 anyways because I'm a video editor. But I really like Dreamweaver!

9. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I do, but I don't code as much as I used too.

10. Rychy macrumors 6502

I've been wondering this myself. We use Dreamweaver in the classes I've been taking so I'm used to it, but I do have Espresso and CCSEdit from a bundle a while back... maybe I need to give them a try now that I could actually use them.

11. c1phr macrumors 6502

I've been working away from Dreamweaver for a few months now. I went from CS5 and jumped between Komodo Edit, Eclipse and Aptana Studio. I eventually settled on Apatana Studio 3, but I hope to buy Coda soon.

CS5.5 looks like it might be interesting, and I might wait for a trial of it before I settle on Coda.