Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcapz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Was just curious to know if anyone was still using Netshare from when it was in the appstore? And if anyone is still using it, how it was working out for them in terms or speed and ease of use??

Moomba

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I still have it from when it was available, but frankly I don't nor have I ever used it for any extended period. I got it mostly so that if I was ever in a pinch and needed it I would have it available. Has nothing to do with any TOS just I want the option to use it if the situation arose (as does occasionally when I travel.) That said speeds are about even with whatever the connection of the phone to the cell network is. It's not great, but it works in a pinch. I don't know why anyone would really even want to use it as a permanent connection anyway as there are plenty of other/better alternatives.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
I still have it from when it was available, but frankly I don't nor have I ever used it for any extended period. I got it mostly so that if I was ever in a pinch and needed it I would have it available. Has nothing to do with any TOS just I want the option to use it if the situation arose (as does occasionally when I travel.) That said speeds are about even with whatever the connection of the phone to the cell network is. It's not great, but it works in a pinch. I don't know why anyone would really even want to use it as a permanent connection anyway as there are plenty of other/better alternatives.

I have it, but only use it on occasion.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
I'm almost surprised to see that people would only use it occasionally. I've always been intrigued about using the real Internet on the laptop on-the-go... I'd be using it all of the time:)

crazyitalian198

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2006
Being back on campus, there is really no reason for me to ever use it since everything is WiFi. Many businesses are now wifi as well. For the times when I'm in a pinch, I usually just use my iPhone's browser. It does work relatively well, but I rarely use it.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
I'm almost surprised to see that people would only use it occasionally. I've always been intrigued about using the real Internet on the laptop on-the-go... I'd be using it all of the time:)
So when AT&T audits your acct. usage and slams you for a T.O.S/A.U.P violation and charges you a few thousand $$$...
iPhone tethering is NOT 'real' internet on the go. Phone dies in >2 hours can't make/receive call.
Yes in a pinch its good, but driving 3 miles further down the road to a coffee shop or other Wifi spot is just plain faster/easier.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008

Most of the places I go have Wifi, so I use that. But I use Netshare when I am not near a hotspot.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
So when AT&T audits your acct. usage and slams you for a T.O.S/A.U.P violation and charges you a few thousand $$$...

i don't understand why people keep spreading this BS. have you actually talked to anyone that this has happened to?

i've been using netshare a lot since i got it, it's not exactly fast but it works fine.

jcapz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
great feedback....i only tried it once before i even had the 3g and u can imagine the uselessness of it on a 1st gen....anyone have the link for best setup instructions for netshare? I had a link before but can't seem to find it in my favorites...

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I don't use Netshare very often at all. As almost everyone else here, I use it when in a pinch. I was in LAX a few weeks ago and it worked great since they don't have free WiFi in the United terminals.

AT&T and Apple are making a big deal out of nothing. Netshare is not easy to setup for the common fellow. It's not like it takes one click to get it running.

I'm really surprised AT&T and the folks at Netshare haven't worked out some sort of money making scheme. I honestly would be happy to pay a few extra bucks to have it available to me. I guess free is good too. :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have it, but too bad I don't own an iPhone; was going to buy one until I found a better device.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
i don't understand why people keep spreading this BS. have you actually talked to anyone that this has happened to?

i've been using netshare a lot since i got it, it's not exactly fast but it works fine.
Its not BS its in the contract you signed.

There are reports they are auditing people using the OLD 2g data plans (non-3g plans) on 3g phones. Look for the thread here in the forums. How long till they (AT&T) look for people using unusual amounts of data?

PDA Personal Plans
Phone as a modem

RobLikesBrunch

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
It's a complete bitch to set up on windows..every time you have to enter a custom IP and so forth. PDAnet works much better :)...

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006

There are reports they are auditing people using the OLD 2g data plans (non-3g plans) on 3g phones.

and what does that have to do with netshare?

there was a post somewhere on here a while ago from a guy that said he even specifically asked ATT if he'd run into problems and they said as long as he stayed under the 5 gig soft cap he'd be totally fine.
to go over that in one billing cycle would take a loooooot of time.

i can personally attest that i've used it quite a lot and have had zero charges or anything like that.
:D

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I have it, and while it works fine and Rogers allows tethering on all of their data plans, I rarely use it as most places have Wifi. If I ever get a job that requires a train or bus ride, I see myself using it a lot more.

kobefan234

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2008
i was using it often but not excessively but it stopped working after 2.1 software update :mad:

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!

There are reports they are auditing people using the OLD 2g data plans (non-3g plans) on 3g phones. Look for the thread here in the forums. How long till they (AT&T) look for people using unusual amounts of data?

PDA Personal Plans
Phone as a modem

This does not happen. Yes it's in the "terms of service", but NOBODY has been charged and actually had to PAY these fee's.

Sorry Charlie, you tiger now... and don't no what you're talking about.

I know someone that works for At&t, and he has confirmed that At&t doesn't require customers to pay this if you have a unlimited data plan.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
This does not happen. Yes it's in the "terms of service", but NOBODY has been charged and actually had to PAY these fee's.

Sorry Charlie, you tiger now... and don't no what you're talking about.

I know someone that works for At&t, and he has confirmed that At&t doesn't require customers to pay this if you have a unlimited data plan.

Unless you're friend's name is Ralph De La Vega or is a direct report of his, then he's not really an authoritative source. Hell I'm an AT&T employee, management even. But I don't suggest you believe everything I say.

Having said that, I doubt they'd charge you anything for using netshare excessively before warning you at least. Especially if you, like me, bought it when it was on the app store.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
iPhone tethering is NOT 'real' internet on the go. Phone dies in >2 hours can't make/receive call.
Yes in a pinch its good, but driving 3 miles further down the road to a coffee shop or other Wifi spot is just plain faster/easier.

I highly doubt that would occur as at one time, it WAS an app in the App Store. So blame can be put on Apple for allowing in the first place, not me for using the application. At&t/Apple never notified me to remove it. And battery dieing...you can charge it via the USB port on your computer.

Agreed.

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
When the internet in my house crapped out for 8 days, I used NetShare a lot. Its such an amazing thing to have. I saw it and thought it was a cool thing to have, and then they pulled it. I was online when I saw it was back on the store and immediately bought it...then 15 min later it was gone! haha Really good investment for the future.

DaPhatty

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
I tried using NetShare for the first time today after having purchased it and wasn't able to get it working. Not sure if the problem is Vista or me. Frankly, I can't be bothered to care. Too bad they didn't make the config much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.