Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Seeing anybody using an iPhone 3G or 3GS is quite the rare sight these days. The oldest model commonly seen in public are 4/4S models, usually with varying levels of screen damage.

I sat next to a lady using an iPhone 3GS as her work phone on an airplane. I thought that was a rare appearance (plus the sight of pre-iOS 7 software design.)

Reactions: Sea Bass

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Seeing anybody using an iPhone 3G or 3GS is quite the rare sight these days. The oldest model commonly seen in public are 4/4S models, usually with varying levels of screen damage.

I sat next to a lady using an iPhone 3GS as her work phone on an airplane. I thought that was a rare appearance (plus the sight of pre-iOS 7 software design.)

My girlfriend has a 3GS, a 6s, and a 7 Plus.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I have one but if I was even remotely thinking about using it all I have to do is turn on my iPhone 7 and that thought quickly passes.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have a 3GS. I still use it but only as an XM radio using the XM Skydock app and the XM Skydock. Why? Because I don't have to have wires everywhere for an XM radio and the Skydock also works with my iPod Classic.

The 3GS is excruciatingly slow by todays standards though and I can only imagine how much more slow the 3G since the S in 3GS stood for speed.

I do have a 6S and a 6S+ in use today as well as a few Android phones.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I downgraded my old 3GS to 4.1 because I have one app, the XM Skydock app which never worked 100% correctly on 6.1 where I was on. The last update the XM Skydock app received was for iOS 4. The Skydock app was designed to work with the XM Skydock which turned the 3GS or iPod Touch into an XM radio. The nice thing about the Skydock was, it was also a dock for an iPod Classic so I always enjoyed using it back around 1999 or so and I started using it and activated the XM sub on the dock.

So I went back to 4.1 on the 3GS and this phone is super fast. I hated trying to use the Skydock app on the phone with 6.1 because it was so freakin slow.

I had a hard time downgrading because I kept trying to use my 2015 MBP, my 2012 MBP and then my Surface Pro 3. None of these would work. Finally I got my 2008 black MacBook out, dusted it off and powered it up. Downgrading worked instantly on it so I'm glad I kept that old MB around.

Of course I can't find any apps on the store now that will install on 4.1 other then the XM Skydock app so I have an old 3GS with that app on it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Gawd, no. I tried playing around with a 3Gs last year and hated it. Torture on iOS6.

Rather use a budget Android or WP released in 2015 with Snapdragon 400 or 410 before using any smartphone from the pre-2012 era. Even a 5c is far more tolerable. But ask someone with a MacBook Pro or Air from 2008, it would still hold up much better today than a phone from more than five years ago. And that's with old software that came with it and was never updated. Smartphones in general have shorter lifespans than notebooks by nearly half.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Awful memories of my 3G, my first iPhone. It was fine until like iPhone OS 3 (?) at which point it turned into a worthless pile of garbage. OS 4 was supposed to fix that, but never really did.

Sadly I used that pile of crap for nearly 3 years, shattered screen and all for 9 months, since there was no point getting a 4 since I was moving home from Japan soon enough. My launch day 4S couldn't come fast enough when we were finally back stateside.

johnmed

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
uk
I sold my 6 plus a week before I got the 7 (release day). During that week I was forced to suffer my old 3G. My word it was tough.

I only did it because the company that bought it from me were offering ~£85 more than they would had they received it the week after.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have a 3GS that still works which was my first iPhone. I keep it as a spare with a working "pay as you go sim in it". I get a lot of overseas visitors and let them have it to keep in touch while visiting.

iPhone Momma

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2016
My 7 year old nephew is happily using my old iPhone 3GS with no cell service, for playing games only. Recently, he thought it would be funny to dip the entire phone in a cup of lemonade. It destroyed the home button (wouldn't do anything) and some other components, but still turned on. We made a genius bar appointment, took it in, and they replaced it (for a small fee), but they replaced it. With a new 3GS. This is a true story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.