Anyone still using XP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by egy195, Jul 22, 2014.

1. egy195 macrumors regular

i'm still running xp on my only computer and there are no problems whatsoever.
    was just wondering is there anyone still using it as the main os ?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Sort of. I have a netbook used in a non network dedicated application. It runs fine and there's no reason to upgrade. I also have an old XP VM in Parallels that I still run occasionally but have networking turned off. All other windows work is done in 7.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I hated XP. Horrible OS. Microsoft have done much better since.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have it in a VM for a single app that doesn't seem to work in 7 (Exact Audio Copy). I don't buy many CDs anymore so I don't use it much, but it "feels good" to make bit-perfect rips when I do :)

5. egy195 thread starter macrumors regular

i guess using the internet on such a small diplay isn't the best even without xp, but if you had a bigger laptop would you use the internet with it ?

----------

i used to get the BSOD nearly every month or so back in the early 2000s but now i think it's pretty stable with SP3

----------

i used windows 7 and evedry program i used on it still works with xp :)

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have one older laptop at work that is still running XP, but I only use it for specific tasks and rarely take it on the Internet.

In fact, I still have an even older Windows 95 laptop at work, which I never use. I need to toss it out and free up some storage space.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I run exactly 2 programs on it, VMSpc - a Diesel engine monitoring program and MS Streets & Trips. It's used in my motorhome for just a single purpose. The GPS map us displayed on the big tv for passengers and the engine data is on the small screen for the driver.

8. KNNSpeed, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

KNNSpeed macrumors newbie

I have Windows XP on... Everything, it seems. 2 Top-range i7s and lots of early Pentium 4s, pretty much just because it worked and was supported for so long.

Granted, I dual-, triple-, and quad-boot all of the more modern things, with my favorite being my main Ivy Bridge i7 with MS-DOS/Windows 3.11 (Really!), XP, 8.1, and OS X just to see if it was possible (it is) and if the Windows 8 bootloader could handle all of that (it can).

I do keep a dedicated XP machine around for older software/hardware compatibility reasons, though. It's mainly for working with some old software, and isn't used that frequently.