Anyone strange tingling sensation when MBP sat on legs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by autacraft, Jul 2, 2010.

1. autacraft Guest

Ok, bit of a strange title/topic I know, but when I'm sat on my bed and have my MBP on my lap, after a short while I get the strangest sensation in my legs where the computer is sat, its only very tiny, but its a kind of tingly feeling, but then also warm!

For all the smart arses out there, no its not pins & needles, and no its not just the heat transferring, sometimes I get this feeling within a few minutes before the computer even gets mildly warm.

Am I being slowly cooked with microwaves? :confused:

Anyone else got strange radiation flowing through their bodies?!?!?

I'm sure this isnt much to worry about, I'm just interested

2. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Hiya,

That's probably electricity that you're feeling. Maybe a grounding issue.

However, before making any judgements either way, can you tell us:

Is the MBP plugged into the mains or on battery?
    Are you using a Magsafe adapter with 2 or 3 pin plug at the wall socket?
    Are you using an extension cable or multi-plug box between your MBP and the wall socket?

Cheers

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

O ....MY....

but seriously, it's not dangerous radiation
    your MBP couldn't possibly exert the amount of REM necessary for any "weird and warm sensation" to be felt or cook you like a hot dog

4. autacraft thread starter Guest

Hi hi

Hmm, often run it off mains but happens with battery also

I use the 3 pin (UK) magsafe that came with it, and it goes through a surge extension cable to the mains.

Is there anything im doing wrong? Other than pluggin it in, I cant see what else I should be doing!

Thanks!

5. autacraft thread starter Guest

Its certainly a weird/warm sensation, cant honestly describe it, its like a deep buzzing heat - without the actual heat! its very weird!

But Im very happy to hear my wee system is incapable of physically frying me up, thank you! :)

6. autacraft thread starter Guest

just want to add...this isnt effecting my system in any way at all, everything is running perfectly and my battery is fine etc

It was more a slight concern as to whether its (particularly) not advisable to use a big 17" laptop for any length of time on one's 'lap' (a contradiction if ever there was one!) because they do kick out a fair ammount of radiation?

It might quite simply be the current Im feeling, as you say, but it doesnt really feel like an electrical buzz.....

sorry, its hard to really explain in words!

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Could be the mild electronic shock some people get with their MBPs, it comes from dodgy USB port insulation, mine does it occasionally, i get it on the top half of the casing.

8. jdaniel macrumors 65816

some people are hypersensitive to EM fields etc

9. autacraft thread starter Guest

not sure, its across the whole of the bottom plate

anyway, not to worry! if my legs turn green ill hollar!

thanks all

10. autacraft thread starter Guest

woah!

best answer so far! well XMEN!

11. jdaniel macrumors 65816

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

You could be just mildly sensitive? :) But I have never really used these things on my lap except in airport if there are no lounges etc.. at home I just lay in bed or its on the desk.

12. jim4spam macrumors member

Does it make a difference what website you're looking at (e.g. does it get worse when the website contains flesh tones ?) :D

More seriously, my vote is for poor electrical insulation somewhere - the USB explanation sounded credible which won't harm you.

13. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

which can cause rashes, skin irritation, paranoia, etc. Someone has been watching a lot of ghost hunters. :D

I like the unshielded electrical wires/ports route, seriously. Go to Genius bar and tell them and see what they will do.

14. altecXP macrumors 65816

I get the same ting, it's the heat from the fans/vent

15. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Just make sure the wee from your wee system doesn't get on the MBP or Magsafe connector and you shoulf be alright ;)

16. drambuie macrumors 6502a

You could be sensitive to vibrations from the hard disk's rotation. Your legs act like a cushion and absorb the vibrations, whick would be at 90Hz for a 5400 RPM drive, or 120Hz for a 7200 RPM drive. Your skin's getting a low intensity high speed massage, which will induce a warming sensation.

17. autacraft thread starter Guest

Ive just done a little test sitting it on my arms and get the same feeling!

I guess I am just a sensitive bean!

So long as this isnt harming me, I'm not too fussed about taking it to be tested or anything

thanks for your comments and feedback guys!