Anyone stress tested new i5/i7 seriously?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quetsche, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Quetsche macrumors member

Just curious if anyone had done some serious stress testing of their new macbook pros (having both cores + the GPU at maximum for several hours).
    Any issues? Also how hot does it get? ;)

2. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

Why would one want to do that?

Anyone needing that kind of intensive activity should be using a desktop.

I do know that after installing all my software my new i7 15" was barely warm in comparison to the 3 day old 15" I had returned!:eek:

3. Quetsche thread starter macrumors member

Anyone wanting to use his notebook seriously should be using a desktop? :confused:
    imho it's the opposite, anyone who is not using is macbookpro to full power should save some money and buy a "non pro" macbook. ;)

4. Quetsche thread starter macrumors member

I'd like to bump this question. ;)

I'm especially curious about the performance after the computer gets quite hot. (as i said in my first post, preferably after 1 or 2 hours of intensive GPU-CPU work)
    Since the turbo boost deactivates itself when it's hot (at least i think so), i'm not sure the i5/i7 macs keep their high performances for long tasks. It would be interesting to see a geekbench then.

5. Arrandale macrumors regular

I played Spore on all settings maxed out for about four hours yesterday. Lovely to say it ran without a hiccup, no dropped frames, extremely playable.

It did get extremely hot to the touch just above the brightness and exposé controls on the keyboard, but the body was cool everywhere else, the internal fans were going at just about 2000 rpm each and the CPU temperature was just over 70 degrees C which is extremely reasonable.

I also opened everything in my applications folder at once (I have 50+ apps, some very intensive indeed) and it didn't even break a sweat spinning beach ball.

I'm loving this machine :D

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

That is extremely impressive!

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That's interesting.

8. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I say we put it in the oven at about 350 to see what it really can do!

LOL!

The MBPro laptop is still just a consumer laptop. Not commercial grade. I leave the heavy duty stuff up to my 8 core Z800 and not my laptop. But then if that is all you got . . . .

9. riotgear macrumors member

Not commercial grade? What does that even mean? Commercial as in rugged? This is not the machine to take with you if you're going to be in Afghanistan. However in terms of performance I use my MBP for commercial purposes (design, 3D rendering, video editing) without any issues.

10. WMuntean macrumors regular

Ran a genetic algorithm on my 17" i5 for 8 hours on all cores and threads (4 total) -- in other words, I "Maxed" it out for 8 hours.

It was hot, but cooler than my 15" CD 2.16. Most importantly though, is that no one is going to be (should be) maxing out a notebook for that long. I have a cluster of Mac Pro's that I do my simulations on, but I wanted to see how the 17" compares. Surprisingly, its not that much slower than my 2007 Quad Mac Pro but nowhere near the 2008 8-core Mac Pro.

I dont see anyone having any issues running an iX MBP "Maxed" for a few hours.

11. Quetsche thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, it's good to know there's no 'china syndrome' :cool:

12. Benjones-KY macrumors member

I gamed on mine for a few hours last night. Used Windows 7 Ultimate, playing Team Fortress 2, max settings, 1680x1050 resolution. Played 50-70 fps usually and I had power saver mode on the whole time on accident.

13. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Because it'd be nice to know if they've duplicated the "nVidia GPU fries logic board" feature from the 2007s.

No, anyone who doesn't need to move around should be using a desktop. If you have to move around, you get a laptop, period, whether you need intensive activity or not.

So it'd be nice if the machines could actually handle long-term intensive activity without frying themselves. Which I assume they could -- so far as I can tell, the new machines should be noticably better than the 2007 models in that regard.