Anyone successfully install Leopard on an Old World PCI Mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ziggy29, Jan 29, 2017.

1. ziggy29, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

ziggy29 macrumors 6502

So I've basically finished most of my upgrades on my 7600 project. It has a gig of RAM, a 1 GHz G4 processor, Radeon 9200 graphics, two USB and two FW ports, and a total of about 375 GB of storage (between an "SSD" which is an mSATA/IDE solution and a 7200 RPM HDD hooked into a Sonnet Tango PCI card), partitioned into nine volumes running 7.6.1 to Tiger and a lot in between (also 8.1, 8.6, 9.1 and 9.2.2). Two of the volumes are for shared storage and backing up the other drive, and one is reserved for a Leopard project.

Has anyone successfully installed Leopard on one of these old Macs (7300-9600 family)? Tiger was a breeze; Leopard looks like it poses some real challenges. I've heard it's been done, so I carry on and persist. (Not expecting a good user experience, but this is a hobbyist's "because I can" thing. It runs Tiger decently, but not great since the 50 MHz system bus is a bottleneck.)

There are a couple of challenges, at least. One is that Leopard needs to boot from a DVD (and these old Macs can not boot from FireWire so using Target Disk Mode from my Pismo or TiBook is out). Are there any bootable DVD drives for these models? I have an external SCSI Yamaha CD-RW which works well to boot externally (sometimes with help from XPostFacto), but it doesn't do DVDs. Another challenge is that the installer for Leopard might not want to install on this model (Leopard Assist may be able to help here, but I think it's a problem if I need both LeopardAssist *and* XPostFacto, since both of them do their own editing of NVRAM before rebooting).

I've tried using SuperDuper to clone another good, "fresh" Leopard install on a FW drive to the target volume and boot it with XPostFacto, but it fails, too -- I get the Apple logo but never get to the spinning wheel below -- it just hangs there.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

@Intell has done it on an 8600.

I have an 8600 prepped similarly to yours-1gb of RAM, 700mhz Sonnet G4, an Acard bootable IDE card(the Sonnet IDE cards I have are I think the same chipset), Radeon 9200, and a USB/FW card.

I have a Leopard install that @LightBulbFun put together. I know it boots on a B&W and shoot boot on a beige G3(both with G4 upgrades of course) but I can't get it to boot on the 8600 or my G4 Lombard.

In any case, Leopard isn't plug-and-play on PCI Macs like it is on AGP Macs. As you probably know, a stock Leopard install will boot on anything with AGP graphics and a G4-going all the way back to Sawtooths(Sawteeth?) and G4-upgraded Pismos. For PCI Macs you need to add in a mis-match of kexts. I think some come from Tiger, and others from the preview versions of Leopard.

3. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

indeed I have been able to boot Leopard on my G3 Beige and BW G3. Sadly I dont have PowerSurge (7300-9600) Macs to test it on. while i do have friends who have such Machines with G4s fitted finding time to test and trouble shoot it is a big issue.

4. ziggy29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Saw this one also --

Yikes, this is only a 400 MHz G4 with 128 MB of RAM. I can't even begin to imagine how unusable it is, but still a cool proof of concept!

5. ziggy29, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

ziggy29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thinking on it more, it sounds like the volume cloning method might work IF I knew which Tiger kexts to copy over?

As an aside, I used Geekbench 2.1.13 to test this rig under Tiger. It scored 438, and where it reports the machine type, it reports "Hackintosh." :)

(In comparison, my 1.0 GHz TiBook with SSD scored a 619.)

6. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

2.2.0 is the latest Geekbench for Tiger FYI. (2.2.7 being the latest for Leopard)

7. ziggy29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I knew 2.2.7 was it for Leopard but the latest I could find for Tiger was 2.1.13. Just did some more online detective work and found version 2.2.0.

New score is 431. And now it reports "7500" as the system rather than "Hackintosh".

8. reukiodo macrumors regular

reukiodo

I don't think LeopardAssist will work here, as I understand it only fools the installer into thinking there is a CPU faster than what is actually installed...

That youtube video has links with the steps that are needed, as well as the filenames:
    http://www.mactech.com/2008/09/23/leopard-pre-agp

Unfortunately the file links themselves are dead...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2017 ---
    I had a "Complete Leopard on Unsupported Macs package.7z" file that I couldn't upload whole as it exceeds the file size and type limits, so here are the parts within it.

I found this after searching the internet forever ago and unfortunately didn't bookmark the site or I would give credit where credit is due. However, since this topic is up I'd rather place the files here to make it easier for everyone to find in the future.

Attached Files: