Anyone successfully upgrade to Aperture 3?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Analog Kid, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I bought the boxed upgrade from A2->A3 and have been trying for days to install the upgrade. It's been one continuous crash fest-- not crashing while using new features of Aperture 3, but crashing while it sits there processing thumbnails or some such. Faces is off, Places is off. I finally tried switching into 32bit mode. Nothing but fail.

This has been a complete debacle.

2. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Dang, may have to hold up on the upgrade. How large is/was your A2 library? For me, A2 library is 21GB and that is with the files being reference in their original locations.

3. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

NO problems here

I am using 10.5.8 on a MacBook Pro and just using the demo, but all has been well over several days, although I don't like the new interface very much.

4. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Working fine for me. I didn't upgrade my library though, just started from scratch. Are you saying this is in the process of upgrading your old library or just in normal use (ie, the software itself)?

5. Analog Kid thread starter macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Somewhere on the order of 60k images.
    "Upgrading" the library appears to be a multistep process. There is a step before the application itself ever launches, then the Aperture window is available, and there is a background task "processing" images. This is where I'm stuck. 64bit mode just goes nuts consuming memory and then swap space until it complains that it's out of hard drive space for swap. More than 1000 pageouts per second, continuously. Grinds the machine to a halt. 32bit mode just sits there doing essentially nothing forever. No progress after 24 hours. Repaired and rebuilt my library and it processed another 20 images before doing nothing again. Then it started crashing on launch.

I've been seeing references to these kinds of problems elsewhere, but no solutions. What I haven't seen yet is someone saying "I've upgraded and it works great!", so I'm just wondering if the happy people are just quiet.

I'm pulling a copy of my library from Time Machine, and I'm going to give it another go.

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

A quick count shows just over 33K images for me. Guess is it the thumbnails and previews stored.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I downloaded the trial and it works fine. Deleted Aperture 2 before installed 3 and no problems so far. Haven't played with it much though but looks good for me

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No problems here, my library was imported into AP3 trial w/o any issues. A tad time consuming but it worked flawlessly, so much so I'm going to pony up the $$ and buy it. The trial really showed the power of AP3 that I'm sold on it.