Anyone suggest an alternative to EyeTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sirolway, May 15, 2012.

1. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Hi all

I have an Elgato Diversity USB TV Tuner - the one that takes 2 aerials so you can record 2 things simultaneously

Generally I love recording TV on the Mac, but the software is pretty terrible:

-Not all aspects of it really recognise there's 2 tuners
    -It crashes frequently; usually when you do something as simple as ask to watch something it's recorded, or close one of its windows
    -When it crashes it forgets a lot of your preferences re what you want to record & what you don't

I really get the impression this company is asleep at the wheel; problems never get fixed & support postings in the past never get answered.

Can anyone recommend me a TV tuner app for Mac that will recognise the Elgato hardware (& the fact that it can record 2 things at once) but free me from the Elgato software?

Thanks in advance

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

eyeTV is the TV tuner software for the Mac. This is the software that most third-party tuners [those from manufacturers other than elgato] are recommended for use on the Mac. Based on your post, I have to question whether or not you are using your tuner properly. It is true that the dual DVB-T tuners of the elgato Diversity allows viewers to watch two programs simultaneously or to watch one program while they record a second. However, the "diversity mode" has a very different purpose. This mode uses the two aerials and tuners to receive a single channel. This purpose of this mode is to improve the chances of receiving programs while deep indoors. Be sure to use the proper settings in the proper mode.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Yeah, I agree EyeTV is about the only game in town. It's worked great for me with two separate USB dongles (Miglia and El Gato) and a good rooftop antenna. Might be the hardware....

Rob

4. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, I am running it in the correct mode ...

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I get the occasional recording/programming error, but apart from that it's worked fine for me for over 2 years.

6. davids8477 macrumors 6502

The EyeTV software has worked great for my for a couple of years. I use it with the HD Home Run hardware.