All iPads Anyone switch from an Air to a Retina Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SteelBlueTJ, Dec 27, 2013.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I picked up a new Air on launch day back in October. I previously had a 1st gen Mini which I sold after getting the Air. Ever since, I have been missing the smaller form factor. I mean, the Air is great, but I think the Mini is just more practical. the slightly larger Air is just more clumsy to me. I am getting the urge sell my Air and get a new Mini Retina. Who else has gone this route? Did you regret it? Thanks for any advice.

2. Angler macrumors regular

I bought the air loved it then I went out and bought a new MBPr and felt they were somewhat redundant. Since it was bought during the holiday season I just returned it for a mini. Love the form factor either way you can't go wrong. It a matter of your personal needs.

3. Tortri, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I was in a similar situation.

I had the iPad mini that accidently got destroyed, so to help my sorrows I bought an iPad air because it was lighter than previous large screen iPads, it had the same design as the mini but it had a larger screen. And I loved the larger screen but just felt awkward to handle the iPad air.. The form factor just wasn't right for me. I wasn't able to thumb type when holding the iPad air sideways or hold it up like I could with the mini. It was just too large for its form factor and I have big hands.

Well as much as I enjoyed the larger screen (with my middle aged eyes). I picked up my wife's iPad mini, using it for 5 minutes and remembered all the reasons why I enjoyed the ipad mini.

Needless to say I returned the iPad Air and I am typing this on an iPad mini retina and haven't looked back.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have an iPad 3rd gen and my family shares an iPad mini 1st gen. I always reach for the iPad 3. For me its the bigger screen. If I was able to have both an air and mini retina I would but if I had to chose I would take the air. It really matters for what you want to do with it. For me its the internet and game.

5. mripadmini macrumors regular

go with your gut . you will love the mini once you get it and you take it with you everywhere.

6. rajpatel macrumors regular

I had the retina mini for a month. I exchanged it for an Air because web browsing on the mini was tedious for me. I loved the mini in every other respect. Its size and weight was wonderful. It was beautiful and elegant. Easy to hold with one hand. Fit everywhere, even in my jeans pocket. Which I wasn't expecting. It was a great e book reader. I also felt it was perfect for, and better than, full size ipad for tv and movies.

Ultimately, I spend an hour or two a day sometimes, not all days, reading the news and current affairs on the Internet. Since one would have to be crazy to pay one dime for any reading of any kind, except best selling books and perhaps a very few select mags.

I'm very happy with my decision to exchange the mini for the air. I really did love the mini. But I think it is important to minimize electronic clutter, even if u a millionaire. I needed an all in one device. Retina mini, though awesome, could never have been just for the one area it stumbled with me, the web surfing. I understand completely that for many of you it can't be beat in that regard. I think I am still used to a dozen years of a thirteen inch screen and can't and don't want to transition down to something that small for reading websites. The Air is so much more luxurious in this regard and also so light and sleek. I think the argument for the mini was better when the 4 was a fatass but now the full size ipad is so light I think that is one less thing goin for the mini

7. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I did exactly that for the exact reasons mentioned by the OP. I owned the first-generation Mini and loved it. I sold it in anticipation of the rMini release, but the decided to try an Air when they were released. I used it over a month, but couldn't get the easier handling and lighter weight of the Mini out of my mind. Thanks to Apple's holiday return policy, I was able to return the 32GB cellular Air and get a 64GB cellular rMini for the same price. I am now a totally happy camper - The rMini is awesome :)

8. jjfactory macrumors newbie

Same story here. The biggest problem I had with air is thumb typing. I felt like its almost necessary to company air with a keyboard, at the same time I hate to increase the size/weight by doing so. Besides, reading on air was not always the better experience than mini. Most of my reading use apps like feedly or tapatalk, they all can adjust the font size and the amount of the content on mini's screen is comfortable to read, easy to touch, swipe or scroll.
    I am now a happy retina mini owner.

9. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I did. I actually only did it because I purchased a mac pro and the air was kind of useless to me after that. The mini is perfect for on the go portablity or just browsing at home without opening the mac. I have the 32 retina mini and absolutely love it. But the air was very nice too. If I wouldn't have got the pro I would have stayed with the air. But the mini is perfect for what I need it to do.

10. PerfectCr macrumors regular

Yes. I did. I'll repost what I wrote in another thread.

I have been reading many of the "Air vs. rMini" threads because I've been going through the same thought process myself. I owned every iPad since launch and when the original mini came out I sold my iPad 3 to "downgrade" to the mini. I got so used to the mini form factor that I was willing to deal with the lack of a retina display.

I told myself I was ready to move back to the big screen so I got the Air on launch day. I am now typing this from the Retina Mini. Why? I am a heavy business user but also a gamer. The screen on retina mini is amazing and the form factor IMO is the best mix or portability, reading, and gaming. I got so used to the mini form factor I ultimately couldn't go back to the full size iPad.

I also have a self-built serious gaming PC at home and a (company provided) 17" MBP. The mini is the perfect device to fit the middle ground for between all of those devices.

The threads here were really helpful in helping me decide but ultimately the Retina mini is the one I choose. Good luck

11. derbyshire2013 macrumors member

I've traded down from an iPad with Retina Display to an iPad Mini w/Retina Display.

The form factor for me is great, it's much easier to carry around, the screen is super sharp and all-in-all I'm much happier with it.

12. itjw macrumors 65816

I did. Minor yellowing on the left side of the air, perfect screen with no IR on the RM.

Even got cellular for 30 bucks. Now I have 200MB free for life and a device that I like more.

Not to mention how much more comfortable it is to hold, lighter, etc. it's a better device. I'm glad I tried the air, but even without the screen yellowing I'd rather have a cellular mini for 30 bucks more

13. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

The Air came out first so that's what is got and I've been thrilled. After the RMini came out, I checked it out in a store and saw no reason to have one in addition to the plethora of display problems I've heard of on the RMini.

14. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Im purely a thumb typer as well, but going from my experience, its just the matter of getting accustomed to how the air is used than the rmini. I thumb type on my air just like I did on the rmini, it takes a lot of getting used to but Im liking the experience a lot more than i thought i would.

Is it as good as the rmini in hand for form factor? No, but when used barebones with no case, it comes awfully close.....like very very very close. And the biggest benefit of having the larger screen more than makes up for it. But like I said, it takes some getting used to, especially if you used the mini for a year. I dont finger type a lot but when I do, I actually find myself typing with 4 fingers now on the air, something I wasnt able to do on teh mini cause the keyboard was too small. When I finger typed on the mini, I pecked with 2 fingers.

15. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Although I don't have the Air, I've been using a full size iPad since Gen 1... I jumped into rMini and am Thrilled! My 4 hasn't been used since. The form factor and power... It's the right size for me. Your mileage may vary. But for what I use a tablet for, the rMini is perfect. Surfing, emailing, gaming, video's, music...

We just got back from a 22 hour drive (EW) to see the inlaws over the Christmas holiday and we used the rMini as our entertainment system for the trip for audiobooks, games, video's, podcasts etc...

The battery life is crazy good as well.

Happy New Year!

Coachingguy

16. Skika macrumors 68030

They are both amazing. I prefer the Air, the Mini is just too small for me.

But either way you cant go wrong.