Anyone switch from MBP to Aluminum MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cfairbank, Apr 5, 2009.

1. cfairbank macrumors 6502

I am sure there is but just wanted to get some feedback. I recently went from 2.16 ghz MBP to 2.4 ghz MB. Wanted something more portable, granted the 15" MBP is not to hard to travel with. Just looking for other peoples experiences and if they wish they regret the switch. I have a few days left in which to return. Overall I have been pretty happy with it. To be honest it is an upgrade as far as performance from my MBP, minus screen and firewire.

Thanks for the feedback.

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Personally I haven't pulled the trigger on that just because of the price different. My MBP is working out fine for me right now and I guess I didn't see enough in my mind to warrant an upgrade.

Have you noticed any significant differences since you bought it?

I think that it really comes down to how much cash you have on hand. If I had the money to get a new one, I definitely would! :p

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I did this and loved the small factor and backlit screen of my 2.4MB, however the screen was a deal breaker for me. So I brought a 15" and sold and brought another 13". I did this quite a few times and now I have all three but 95% of the time I use my 17" simply for the battery lie. I travel with it every day and have no problems. Watching Gavin and Stacey in HD and chuckling whilst writings some briefs.

I am now selling the 13" and keeping both 15" and 17" only.

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If you don't need firewire, a higher quality screen, or a GPU, then there is no reason to use the MBP. The MB has better battery life, lighter, cheaper, and is a bit more portable. Also, if you don't need the extra 0.4GHz on the MB or the backlit keyboard then you can save $300 and go with the 2GHz MB. Though the MBP is obviously better while more expensive.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I cannot recommend aluminum MacBook to anyone, because it lacks FireWire. Stupid, stupid, STUPID decision, very shortsighted of Apple to drop it. That move makes it more of a toy than the metal enclosure makes it look like a tool.

As long as the white plastic MacBooks are available, I'm going to recommend that model to anyone asking me for advice. Once they're discontinued, I'm only going to recommend MBP.

Sure, FireWire is a pro feature and I believe "most people" only need USB memory sticks for transfering data. But still, where do those "most people" connect their digital video cameras?

STUPID, very stupid move.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I had a 2.2G MBP that was giving me a lot of problems. Finally when the display died (My fault) I decided I no longer wanted to put work into that computer. I do audio work, so the FW thing was really a biggy for me. I ended up getting a 2.4G Unibody MB. I figured that since the unibody MBP has a cheap FW controller, that the only reason I would have to get the the pro over the MB was the size. Well I wanted a smaller size anyway. Since I would have been unable to use my FW devices it really did not make sence to spend the extra money on the Pro, when there really is not much in the way of any difference.

After getting everything set up most of my qualms were taken care of.

Besides for the aluminum body I think the thing is ugly, that doesn't matter though. I just ordered my anti-glare screen. It is back ordered. I hope it helps. Because if it does not significantly reduce the glare I will have to sell it. Even after only a few minutes I am getting a horrible migran. I also am not at all happy with the track pad. I wish there was a way to retro fit the older track pad, but I don't really see that being possible.

Preformance so far is great. I do plan on upgrading to a 7K drive at least. I would really like to remove the DVD drive and install a SSD when I have the extra cash (IE, I need a job).

The battery does seem to do well. I have only gone trough 2 cycles, but it does seem to give me around 4 hours give or take.

One thing that made me really happy in comparision to my MBP is the build quality. IMO, the quality of Apple portables with Intel chips have been less then acceptable. With the unibody I feel this is different. The computer is much more solid. I have not opened her up yet, but even looking at the pics on ifixit.com look like better quality parts. The quality of my MBP was a big issue, and got me to start considering for the first time in my life buying a windows machine so I could do live shows.

Another thing I noticed in comparision to my MBP is that this guy runs about 30-50 degrees cooler (F). Which I would figure would have to do with a better battery and more effecient compnants.

I have only had the unibody MB for under a week, so I still have a lot to do in testing and all that. So far though, I am much more pleased with performance then with my MBP, now to just get my bluetooth mouse and my anti-glare film.

*Eyes the mail box even though it is Sunday*

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I definitely do NOT recommend getting rid of a MBP and moving to a unibody MB. I did that back in October when the unibody MB was introduced. I later quit using the unibody MB, and moved to an MBA and also bought an older MBP just like the one I sold as I missed all of the capabilities of the MBP. The unibody MB has been in a drawer never used since the day I bought the MBA.

The biggest problem is not the display size, but it is the very poor quality display used in the new unibody MB. At first use, the unibody MB display is ok... but after using it for a while or setting it side by side with any MBP you will see just how inferior it is. The unibody MB display shows poor darks and terrible viewing from any angle not straight on. Blacks seem dark purplish gray instead of BLACK. It is really bad if you use it often. I don't consider the glass to be part of the problem, as the glassy MBPs look great.

Every other aspect of the unibody MB is really nice. The brick of aluminum is awesome. It is a speedy little computer. It supports up to a 30" ACD externally. And if you were going to use it as a desktop primarily with an external display attached, I would say it could be ok. I would not want to look at a unibody MB display more than an hour per day.

I really strongly advise you either keep the older MBP, or upgrade it to a different Mac. I think you would be disappointed with the unibody MB's display. Do yourself a favor and set it next to either a MBP or MBA in the store and play a video. You will see instantly just what I am talking about.

Good luck whichever route you go.

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Most people don't have digital video cameras anyway. I do have a firewire/USB combo external but USB is fine. I only back up once a week. I think USB in these new MBs are faster than the older USB backups.

The recommendations about the screen are true though. If you need perfect color then the MB is not for you. However I am on the machine all day long with no eye strain or problems. It comes down to cost and whether you are happy with the machine. If you have money to burn then go with the MBP. If you need the power then go with the MBP. Otherwise, see if you like the MB. The same complaints can be said about 20" vs. 24" iMacs but for most people the 20" is fine.

I also think you'll notice that Mac users on this forum are big complainers. Much like medical students.

9. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

What if I don't need Firewire?

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not all video cameras have FireWire ports. My friends all have video cameras and ALL of them are USB. It is not a toy even though it lacks FireWire. Most PCs don't even have FireWire. I shoot and edit video very extensively, and I have only used FireWire ONCE with my Dad's old Sony camcorder (tape based recording device). That was roughly 3 years ago with an iBook G4.

Face the facts, there wasn't enough room for a FireWire port. Nor enough power. If Apple chopped off an USB port and put FireWire, I would be pissed.

11. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

was there really not enough room??? I seem to doubt that. I think they made the decision to continue without it, why they wanted too keep all the ports on one side and keep it pretty. And also to get people to invest in a MBP.

12. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

I have both. I LOVE and always have loved my MBP S.R. There is something about the screen quality and classic characteristics that make it awesome. I also am not partial to glossy screens. THe matte MBP screens are awesome. A Huge difference if you work back and forth from the mb to the mbp.

I have the MBP for work at home, and the MB for portability. Dont get me wrong I love both. But if I had to have one, it would be the classic MBP

13. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

exactly. the MB is not a pro machine, and it shouldnt be. if you need the firewire you pay the price. it really is the main thing that sets the MB and MBP apart.

14. wildintheory macrumors newbie

I went the other way. Bought a MB and returned it within the 14 days due to an issue with a defective key but instead of just getting a replacement upgraded to the Pro. The screen quality was a deal breaker for me but I do miss the size of the MB. I know that 1 pound a few inches shouldn't make that much of a difference but it really does. Even sitting with it on the sofa the MB was easier to manage. That said I don't regret the upgrade at all because the screen would have driven me crazy. BUT if you can have a look at a MB and you don't find the screen to be that big of a problem (which I'd venture to say most people don't) then go with the MB because it's a great little machine.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you're happy with the machine, why bother asking us? It sounds like you are, so just enjoy what you've got.

If you've still got the 2.16 MBP, you can probably extend it's useful life by maxing out the ram and sticking in a 7200 rpm hard drive.

I wasn't a fan of the MB's screen, so I took it back and got a base uni mbp. My fiancee's using that now for her jewelry cad software. I'm now surfing, emailing and banging on the keyboard of a last gen 12" pb.

The screen of the mb is not as good as the mbp. But apple always cheaped out on their consumer laptop screens. If the 2.4 mb screen was just as good as the base mbp, who the hell would buy the pro? IMO, the screen is better than the whitebook it replaced.

Enjoy what you've got. If you engage in the 'should I, would I, could I' game, you will never truly enjoy any machine (until after you've gotten rid of it) and drive yourself crazy in the process.

16. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

From MacBook Pro to Aluminum MacBook

I recently sold my pre-unibody 15.4" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro and bought an aluminum 13.3" 2.4 GHz MacBook and can't be happier. I like the glossy screen despite what most have said about it. It is actually brighter than I thought it was. I love the backlit keyboard. It's pretty useless to use black keys in dark lighting situations without the backlight. As far as computing power and everything else, it's right up to par with my old MBP. For me, a college student, the size and weight of the MBP was starting to get to me. I wanted to upgrade and go smaller at the same time.
    It all came down to only two point: FireWire and screen size.
    To be honest I've only used FireWire one in 8 months. That was with an old camera for a short film. I noticed that nearly all cameras use USB now. And a new camera, IMO, wouldn't run you that much if you have a job. Few use FW but many external hard drives use them.
    And I really do not notice the screen difference. You only look at the program you're in. Plus the bezel looks nice.

I recommend getting a 2.4 GHz MB if you do not ABSOLUTELY need FW. Either way you can't go wrong by having an :apple:

17. cfairbank thread starter macrumors 6502

Think I have decided to stick with the new mb aluminum. I have adjusted to the smaller screen and even though I can tell the mbp screen is better it doesn't warrant the price for me. Since my mbp was about 2.5 yrs old there is a considerable increase in speed and performance. As far as firewire, my current camcorder uses it but I have a 20 iMac that has the firewire port I need. Besides I think with the money I make on selling the mbp I can get a new hd camcorder. Anyways thank for the replies they are much appreciated.

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

Seems like you are not up with the times. Many (maybe most) new digital video camcorders only have USB and HDMI. My new Canon VIXIA HF 10 HD camcorder does not have FireWire and while it does suck , things change.

19. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Yeah, I'm with you here. Apple may have wanted to push people to the pro models, and / or wanted to discontinue a soon-to-be legacy port.

I'd bet it had nothing to do with lack of room, though...

20. schreck macrumors regular

I recently got rid of my Santa Rosa 2.4MBP for a unibody MacBook. I really wanted something smaller and felt as if the "power" of the MBP was superfluous. In all honesty, I feel like my new MacBook (2,4GHz version) is a good bit quicker than my MBP in daily use. Also, I'm more pleased with the MB in LightRoom -I'm not sure if I had any issues with the 8600m card, but i was never impressed by its graphics performance.

Truth is (unfortunately) the screen on the MB is terrible. It is a bit brighter than the previous MB's screens, but the quality is quite poor. I do miss the screen of the MBP a bit, but that is my only complaint. As I never did much graphics work with large files/gaming, I'm completely all right with the 9400m and everything else (even USB! :eek: - it's a travesty, eh?).

One more thing to mention- USB 2.0 was no slower when transferring data to the new MB than when transferring via FW800 to old machine. Don't ask me how. This is only something I've observed - but it makes me question the quality of the FW800/drive I've been using.

Any more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

21. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

My unibody MB has been in a drawer for three months. I just cannot stand looking at the display. It is really unfortunate, because other than the display, it is really a solid machine. Would be nice if there was a display upgrade. A lot of people want a MB, but also want a nice display. I have always thought Apple should make a 13" MBP.

22. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

MBA has a better screen than the MB at 13" if that is your main concern. Of course you are paying the price for it to gain the extra portability. The three machines would make one great notebook together but if it is such a deal breaker for you the MBP/MBA are better for your needs.