Anyone switch to a Galaxy S4 Mini?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by elfy, Dec 5, 2013.

1. elfy macrumors 6502

Currently my wife and I have an iphone 4 each. Upgrade due in February but I'm thinking I might buy a handset each for us rather than get one on a contract. Will possibly have a little money but probably not enough for iPhones.

So I was thinking of switching to the Galaxy S4 mini. It's pretty affordable and quite honestly, I prefer the smaller size compared to the S4 itself. I know there are lots of other differences between the two models but in all honesty, the mini is still going to be an improvement on our current iPhones.

Anyone made the switch to this particular handset? Thoughts?

2. viskon macrumors 6502

Not to get off topic, but if you're going to remain on contract, you might as well get a subsidized phone. The cost of the handset is included in your monthly carrier bill when on contract, so IMO, if your eligible for an upgrade, go for it.

On topic, I've played with the S4 mini in store, and it does feel very nice and comfortable in hand. Being a dual core processor though, I'm not sure if it will be good enough to be relevant 2 years from now.

Have you considered the Nexus 5?

3. elfy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm only considering it because I might have some money now and if it means paying less every month then that'd be preferable to me.

Haven't had a chance to play with the handset yet but will try to.

4. bearda macrumors 6502

Does it actually mean your monthly bill is going to be down? Depends on the carrier, but most don't operate that way...

5. gotluck, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I would hesitate on the mini because of the specs/ support. I would definitely reccomend the moto x over the gs4 mini fwiw. Ah crap never mind motox is USA only.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

His location says he is in Scotland, and while most US carriers charge you the same if you get the subsidy or not on most carriers in other countries charge you less if you bring your own phone. So while the OP's idea might be a bad one in the US it will probably save him some money being that he isn't from the US.

7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

How much is the S4 in comparison to the likes of the Moto G and the Nexus 5?