Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I'm a Mac guy. I'm here aren't I? ;)

I've wanted the iphone since it came out. I have a BB Curve that I love, but it's not used as a business phone. I just like being able to get internet and email while i'm on the go.
I'm seriously considering an iphone. I've played with them. I understand the BB differences.

Has anyone switched from a BB to and iphone and just hated it?

BTW I'm considering getting an unlocked 2g and running it on T-Mobile. My contract is not up and I have a great minute plan 1000/39.99.

Joe

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
Nope, just the opposite. I loved it. Wasnt sure the iPhone was going to be so good and had hesitations ditching my Blackberry. Even playing with it in the store didnt convince me. Its when it was all mine and I started using it that I fell in love. A year later, still feed the same.

Get rid of the Blackberry.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
well i am issued the Bold for work. Its a nice device but honestly I only use it for email. I need to as I'm all over the building and get 300 emails a day (people use it like iChat). I am an Apple fan since 1983 and have stuck with them since. When the 1st gen iPhone came out I did buy it but returned it within the time frame allowed. Reason? Not because of the device but at that time ATT service was just pathetic. Never had a signal anywhere I was at unless I was at work in the city. What good was that?

Fast forward after the 3G came out. The thing works everywhere now. It did not when the 1st gen came out so ATT really improved and expanded their service coverage.

During that time I had a BB World Edition as my primary device (issued from work) and had a back up cell (Razr 2) but I am use to the BB format as I've used one for years now.

Ever since going to the 3G I do not even want to bother with my Bold. I don't like it. Well I do but the iPhone is so much more ahead of its time and funner to use. This thing comes in very handy and the amount of cool apps out there just makes this thing incredible. Sure its got bugs but I don't mind it. Ever since 2.2 came out I swear its become more stable and I get 3G service where I never did before (less switching from E to 3G), less dropped calls, but the Facebook app crashes a lot and is all messed up...

The Storm was considered for my company but has been rejected. They will not adopt it. Certain areas have adopted the iPhone but the thing is locked down so what fun is that!

All I can say is I would pick an iPhone over any BB phone.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I got my iPhone right after I switch jobs and left my BB behind. I've never regretted the choice.

I now have another work-issued BB. Mostly I leave it in my desk, except when I'm traveling. Although I can gain access to my Lotus Notes email on the iPhone through Lotus iNotes (their web app), it isn't nearly as convenient when I need to be in touch.

If the choice were only a personal one or if we had Exchange at work instead of Notes, I'd have never looked back.

(My BB model is several ones older than the Curve (8700c) so that may affect my opinion too.)

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I had BB's going back to the 6710's up until using a 8300 Curve on AT&T last christmas, and then I swithed to iphone. I still had a Verizon 8830 world edition I was issued for my job, and when I started a new one back in August I couldn't wait to ditch it. Only carry the iPhone now, don't miss the BB. I would like to be able to play with the new storm for a couple of weeks or so, but I don't see myself switching.

Hawk.

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
Philadelphia
Switched from BB Pearl to 3G iPhone and the sole disadvantage is email.

And it's a small gripe that hopefully will be solved with some sort of update that gives us Push and horizontail view and keyboard for email.

Also sticking with the email issues, inability to attach files and no copy/paste is a real pita.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
I switched from a BB on verizon to iphone3g on att and I've had absolutely no negatives. I never used C+P on my BB but I wish I had it on my iphone (for web and whatnot) but it's not at all a big deal FOR ME. If you use Copy and paste extensively I can see that being a problem.. no MMS sucks too but I didn't have that on my BB (didn't have camera).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BTW I'm considering getting an unlocked 2g and running it on T-Mobile. My contract is not up and I have a great minute plan 1000/39.99.

I switched from a 8700 to an unlocked EDGE iPhone -- I have the same plan, FWIW (I got it a couple years ago as a contract renewal perk... so I have that + data + SMS = $69.74/mo inclusive of fees and taxes).

I tend to agree -- I love my iPhone and never regret the switch. I did prefer a few small things related to e-mail:

- No unitary mailbox (I really miss that), no copy and paste, no mark-all-as-read

- With the BB, for what it's worth, I could read mail one-handed, even with gloves on (I guess this really was unique to BB's with wheels, though -- I'm not even sure how easy this is to do with a BB that has a Pearl-ball).

Those are really my biggest complaints, and I'm more than happy with all the things the iPhone offers in contrast. And T-Mobile was more than happy to get me set up.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I'm going the opposite way of most of the folks around here... from original iPhone to iPhone 3G to BB Curve and I'm going to get the Bold in the near future. I still have the iPhone 3G and it gets used sparingly.

Based on your needs, looks like an iPhone is for you.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008

And it's a small gripe that hopefully will be solved with some sort of update that gives us Push and horizontail view and keyboard for email.

Also sticking with the email issues, inability to attach files and no copy/paste is a real pita.

A few guys from Apple are at my work today to talk about iPhone/Snow Leopard, etc.

During the iPhone presentation, they showed an App called EasyWriter which gives you the ability to have Horizontal view for the keyboard for email. They didn't show much of it, and I think it might only be useful for new email messages (not replies, forwards, etc..). I've never used it and don't have an iPhone so can't give more info, but thought that might help in case you hadn't heard of it.

Just an FYI...

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I switched from a 8700 to an unlocked EDGE iPhone -- I have the same plan, FWIW (I got it a couple years ago as a contract renewal perk... so I have that + data + SMS = $69.74/mo inclusive of fees and taxes).

I tend to agree -- I love my iPhone and never regret the switch. I did prefer a few small things related to e-mail:

- No unitary mailbox (I really miss that), no copy and paste, no mark-all-as-read

- With the BB, for what it's worth, I could read mail one-handed, even with gloves on (I guess this really was unique to BB's with wheels, though -- I'm not even sure how easy this is to do with a BB that has a Pearl-ball).

Those are really my biggest complaints, and I'm more than happy with all the things the iPhone offers in contrast. And T-Mobile was more than happy to get me set up.

How did they set you up? Did you call them or go into a t-mobile store?

joe

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
How did they set you up? Did you call them or go into a t-mobile store?

Hehe, what I did was this:

I bought the iPhone (I got it in a hurry, because this was one of those episodes where AT&T sold the 8GB EDGE iPhone for $249 refurbished) first.

Then, without even contacting T-Mobile, I just put the SIM card in and added the APN to the iPhone and used it for a week or two.

Then, when I was satisfied with it, I called them, had them change the Blackberry data plan to a smartphone data plan (which means that I lost access to the BB server, which the iPhone doesn't use anyway, but I got WiFi hotspot service in the bargain, for the same price), and just verified that they wanted me to keep the APN that I had.

They didn't change my profile on T-Mobile's online site at all, but the one other thing I did finally was that I just chose some other EDGE smartphone with WiFi as my phone (anything that's not a BB is fine) because otherwise it won't let you adjust options like getting data services and your SMS plan online.

That's about it. :)

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
I had a Curve on Verizon before I got my iPhone 3G. I love the iPhone! But, at times I do miss my Curve. I, like you dont use my phone for business, I use it for light email and for the internet. The biggest thing I miss about my Curve is the physical keyboard. Other than that I am crazy about my iPhone. Verizon service is way better, I had an amazing about of dropped calls when I first got my iPhone. Since then I have found a fix, I keep my 3G turned off. This doesn't really bother me since I have wifi to me pretty much wherever I go. But I saw a 100% improvement in the amount of dropped calls I had. Not to mention my battery life increased dramatically.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
A few guys from Apple are at my work today to talk about iPhone/Snow Leopard, etc.

During the iPhone presentation, they showed an App called EasyWriter which gives you the ability to have Horizontal view for the keyboard for email. They didn't show much of it, and I think it might only be useful for new email messages (not replies, forwards, etc..). I've never used it and don't have an iPhone so can't give more info, but thought that might help in case you hadn't heard of it.

Just an FYI...

There are a few apps in the store that offer this functionality. I use Firemail, which is the same idea: let's you create and reply to messages and write them in landscape. But it's no as convenient as native landscape would be - to reply, for example, you have to select reply in Mail, then exit, open Firemail, and type your message, and then Firemail sends it back to Mail, where you then send the message.

Still, it is faster than typing your message on the stupid horizontal keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.