Anyone switching back and forth between iPhone and a Blackberry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pablo, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

I've been scared off thusfar of trying the iPhone because I don't like the iTunes integration and inability to just swap out SIM cards and be up and running like with every other GSM handset out there. I know you can use the iPhone SIM in other phones, but does anyone go back and forth between a BB and an iPhone, and if so, how painful is the reactivation and change in data plans to handle the different handsets?

2. six2one macrumors newbie

i am also considering using an iphone in tandem with my berry sim...im on a 8300 on att and i would very much like to get an iphone and be able to have it at least work without an iphone plan...also...if thats not possible what are the costs involved with the pre-paid offering on att?

3. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

As the iPhone plan is cheaper than the BB plan, I would hope that it would work, but because the activation apparently has to go through iTunes, I believe that you cannot use your own SIM card from the BB in the iPhone and have it work the same way it would if you moved it to a Palm OS or Windows device.

Conversely, I am aware that you can take the SIM out of the iPhone and then put it in the BB and you should be able to make calls and probably even send SMS, but I doubt that the BB plan (BIS, Messenger) will work.

Anyone done this before?

4. Surely Guest

Surely

What don't you like about the iTunes integration?

5. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I meant activation or integration with respect to activating it. Once it's up, I'm sure it's fantastic to use with iTunes just as my ipod is, but the inability to just swap out the SIM card with any other devices and have them working is troublesome and pretty much what has thus-far kept me off the iPhone.

6. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I've yet to test it but i beleave you can switch the iPhone SIM into other phones.

Setup through iTunes is painless and easy. I did it through my mac and was fine.

Really the only complain i have is iTunes on windows preforming like crap.

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

My wife has a BB 8300 and an iPhone.
    She puts her iPhone SIM in the BB whenever she doesn't feel like brining her iPhone. Usually places like the park and such where an iPhone could get broken.

No issues at all.

You cannot put a BB SIM in an iPhone though.

8. six2one macrumors newbie

do the "berry" features like messenger and BIS still work? im assuming she had ATT add the berry plan on top of the iPhone plan? any details for this would be greatly appreciated! i too have the 8300 and any more details you can give would be a great help!