anyone switching back to Snow Leopard from Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by B737, Aug 8, 2011.

1. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

I'm buying an 8 gig thumb drive so I can put my SL image on it, nuke my Air, then start over again with SL... im all set with Lion.
    too many bugs, too much battery consumption, lost Firefox features...

peace out lion.

2. Patboy247 macrumors newbie

i will be moving back to SL on my server and MBP. The non mission critical ones can stay on lion as its working fine. But for some reason the ones i rely on are so buggy i cant use them at all. They need to do open betas not dev betas once they reach a certain point in development IMO. :mad: :apple:

3. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Thanks

Just a belated "thanks" to all you early adopters and Lion beta testers. Because of your zeal for trying new things not yet ready for prime time I have successfully never officially "upgraded" from SL. :D

5. B737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

B737

6. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Good one Steve! I was about to upgrade to Lion but now I reckon I`ll wait for a little while...

7. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Don't get me wrong. I'll be moving to Lion one day but NOT because I like it. I'd just like to use iCloud this fall and don't think SL will support it.

But I'm really rootin' for the anti-Mission Control folks right now. Keep it up! Really… how hard would it be to port over the old Expose' and Spaces? Just put 'em in the Utilities folder with all the other crap.

8. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I should have waited. I don't feel like putting up with the hassle to go back though.

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

That's where a cheap external drive comes into play. Just install it there and boot into it to take in <cough> all the <cough> Lion beauty and <cough cough> performance.

Or... you can even just intall it onto a 16gb flash drive and play with it. (It will take forever to boot though).

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I have an external drive. I use it to back up my Air.

Don't follow the rest of your advice though. I already have installed Lion.

11. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know. I'm just full of 20/20 hindsight advice these days. :D

12. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Went back to SL after can't get WIFI to work in Lion, I had to manually delete and reconnect my router every time the imac switch on or wake from sleep.

Lucky I brought the machine at beginning of July so it came with SL and got a free Lion download when that became available.

I'd have been :mad: and asked for a refund if the imac came with Lion only.

13. mrmister macrumors regular

Upgraded a cloned drive to Lion to test drive it. I really dislike almost every change they made--I'm hard pressed to come up with anything I like better, which is extraordinary as I always upgrade immediately.

The one thing I've been able to count on with Mac OS X upgrades is speed increases...until Snow Leopard, which felt about the same as Leopard. So I think now we're on the other side of the slope.

Given Steve's desires, I feel certain this is the last edition of Mac OS X. There will be a new OS, but they'll rename the next one...and I am waiting to hear it runs Mac software, but only if downloaded through the MAS.

I certainly could be wrong...but I feel like the writing is on the wall, for those who care to see it.

So no Lion for me, for now. I'm sitting on SL, and evaluating.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm actually very close to deleting my Snow Leopard Partition. Lion is working very well for me.

15. wpotere Guest

Lion is memory hungry on my machine. I may go back to SL just until the calm the memory usage.

16. B737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

B737

well living on the shore in NJ, with the hurricane bearing down, i figured id have at least a full day to mess with my MBA...

i booted the mac off the Snow Leopard recovery stick that it came with, erased the HD, and reinstalled SL. was very easy.

my web page drop down menus work, native jump to bottom of page gesture works, fan works as its supposed to, no more effing beach balls, best of all, battery life back to normal. life is good.

bye lion, you sucked.

but im sure i'll see you again when i have too and all the kinks are worked out.

good luck guys!

:)

17. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Nope never did or never will with any of the OS from Apple or Microsft! I was using vista half decade ago and never went back to XP, then when Win 7 came out I just upgrade. Same process as with Mac OS X Tiger>Leopard>Slow Leopard>Lion.

18. kasakka macrumors 68000

I haven't experienced any real issues and the changes made in Lion have made it more fun to use on my laptop. On my desktop Hackintosh I simply don't use most of the new stuff so it feels largely the same as SL excluding the gridless Spaces.

19. B737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

B737

all those things in my above post were broken. my MBA was only a few months old. the battery life was murdered, aside from all the other bugs.

Lion just doesnt bring anything to the table... maybe icloud, but theres not much else too it.

this machine feels so much better now that SL is back on. its faster, more responsive, and its a relief to see my battery back to life...

20. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

B737, after you wiped and installed SL, did you restore your apps and everything from a backup?

I have a time machine, so I'm thinking of doing this as well. Lion sucks, although with the latest patch, it seems better.

21. dba415 macrumors 6502

this.

If I could, you know I would. If I could, I would.

22. B737 thread starter macrumors 6502a

B737

going back was very very easy, i decided not to use time machine

i backed up data to my PC, then i restored the programs from their respective installers, then restored my data. the SL reinstall took no more than 30 minutes. i wish i had done it sooner.

my battery is completely back to normal, my usage time was down to like 4-5 hours, now its back up to almost 8. (mostly web browsing and light stuff)

plus the track pad is so much better. applications arent acting up and i havent seen a beach ball yet.

23. drgrafix macrumors regular

Sounds almost like a beta release for some folks. I was thinking about upgrading but reading through this and several other threads... I think I'll wait a little longer. My MBP and iMac24 are both running OK, but the iMac is showing a little too much beach ball these days. No wonder the "Slow Lion" moniker... too funny. I'm sure Apple is reading all these posts too and they'll be patching the "leaks" on the fly. I'll be back... you can count on it. ;)

Mike

24. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I might do this over the coming weekend. Time machine is a nice to have, but doesn't have the most user friendly interface. I have an external hard drive that I think I'll use to do what you did.

- Backup iMac to hard drive
    - Wipe and install Snow Leopard
    - Reinstall applications
    - Reinstall data

Sound about right? Anything I'm missing? I take it you have to reconfigure all your "system settings" after reinstall?