Anyone switching from wifi+3G to wifi-only this time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolwater, Mar 12, 2012.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

My current iPad is wifi-only and I am getting an wifi-only again for the New iPad. I was seriously thinking about getting the network version iPad when the Original iPad was first launched, but I am glad that I went with the wifi-only version because I really had no regrets based on my iPad usage. Also, my iPad looks better without the ugly black strip. :D

2. Powermax macrumors regular

3. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

My original iPad was 3G + wifi. How many times did I use 3G? Zero. I never even activated it in the past 2 years. So I ordered just wifi this time around. If I ever need Internet on the go, I have my iPhone as a hotspot.

As far as GPS... I'll use my iPhone.

4. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I was going to do wifi only this time and save $129, but then realized how awesome topo maps would be on the Retina display, and for them to work well, you'd want the GPS that only comes in the 4G models. So I got 4G again. :)

Now if AccuTerra will just release an iPad version soon we'll be golden. It looks fantastic on my iPhone 4S... can only imagine how great it'll be on the iPad.

Rob

5. GarryBacon macrumors regular

iPad - 64GB, WI-FI & 3G. Extra £10 a month I couldn't really afford.

iPad 2 - 32GB, WI-FI. Useless (for me), Just a giant iPod touch

'The New' iPad - 32GB, WI-FI. I have recently upgraded my iPhone sim-only contract with Three, here in the UK. I pay £25 a month for all you can eat data, 2000 minutes, 5000 texts. Tethering speeds are immense and included with no extra monthly charge. Can only be quicker on this iPad, I hope. I was previously on Tesco mobile for £21 a month 1GB of data, 500 mins, 1000 texts. - With no option to be able to tether the internet unless jailbroken I think..

I just like the idea of being able to place my iPhone on window sills etc. when in environments where 3g signal is an issue, and being able to sit across the room and get brilliant reception rather than relying on the iPad's antenna fixed in one place. If that makes sense.

6. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

I decided a few months back to stop subscribing to the iPad data plan. If I really want it, I can pay (or not pay) for tethering with my iPhone - even the legit AT&T tethering plan is cheaper than the iPad data plan, even when you adjust it to a per-GB comparison.

So yeah, just wifi for me this time around.

7. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Went with the LTE this time for the GPS and occasional road trip data :)

8. green94 macrumors regular

This - I went to WIFI only this time. Never once activated the 3G on my current iPad.

9. nataliamck macrumors 6502

Yip.

Had iPad 2 64GB wifi + 3G.

Didn't use the data at all because I always had my iPhone with me and didn't use the space either so saved a lot of money this time and went for 32GB wifi only.

10. andyadler, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

andyadler macrumors member

I decided to move from my 16gb AT&T IPad 2 to a 32gb WiFi-only iPad 3. I'm now using a Verizon HTC Rezound with unlimited 4G data and unlimited 4G hotspot, so it didn't seem necessary to have yet another monthly data charge for the iPad, particularly as I use it mostly at home where I have a very fast WiFi connection. And over the last yearn, I think I used GPS on my iPad exactly once -- and that was mostly out of idle curiosity. If I ever go abroad and need to pop a local SIM in, I'll simply use the old iPad.

I should add that because my Rezound lets me quickly swap batteries, the extra power consumption from using my hotspot really isn't an issue. 30 seconds or so and I'm good to go for another 8-10 hours with an extended battery.