iPad Anyone take leap from 7.1 to 8.1 on rMini?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Nov 4, 2014.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Please explain your experience if so.

With 8.1.1 beta closing pangu, I have decisions to make before 8.1.1 GM drops.

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I did--I always update the iPad first before trying any updates or jailbreaks on the phone. In this case, I had just traded in an original Mini on a Mini2; the new device came with 7.1.2 and I ran it stock on that for a bit over a week before the 8.1 JB was announced. Updated at that point, but was waiting on a Mac-based JB, so it's still stock.

For me, 8.1 has definite pluses (extension for 1Password in Safari & some apps, app widgets in the NC) and minuses (WAY too many Safari bugs on stock OS, occasional lag or "stutters" in certain things, like rotation when on springboard, which gets "stuck" for a few seconds sometimes.) No battery issues here, though others have reported experiencing some.

I love love love app widgets in the NC and the 1Password extension; both of these things make my device much easier to use. But 8.1 stock feels *just* buggy enough that I've been hesitant to add any potential jailbreak or tweak bugs on top of that. I'm not to the point where I regret making the move from 7.1.2 to 8.1 on the rMini, but it's just annoying enough that it makes me a bit reluctant to be stuck on 8.1 waiting for the next JB if 8.1.1 or beyond fixes some of these bugs. And it makes me much more hesitant to lose the stable 7.1.2 JB setup on my iPhone 5 to move up to 8.1.

(Clean install, not from backup, and the stock bugs I'm experiencing have been reported by other rMini and original Air users. I haven't used a device on stock iOS this long in around 5 years. All I can say is it's easier to do on the iPad than it would be on my phone!)

3. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Naw, the jailbreak is still too new. Things like Shrink\Bigify not being available, and apps like xCon (jailbreak detection prevention where I can use TiVo) and 3gUnrestrictor, not worth the jump ship, even if it means I stay on 7.x on the iPad. Both my phones I jumped ship and updated tho.

4. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

5. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

I JB my retina mini, but after realizing I could not run the TiVo app yet because Xcon has not been updated, I quickly restored. I use my iPad mostly to watch stuff from my TiVo, so that' a must have for me.

6. anthdci macrumors 6502

I always update my rMini before my phone as I can live without the jailbreak on that if there is issues, I cant live without it on my phone. But to be honest it has been absolutely fine so they are both now running jailbroken 8.1. Apps are being released on a daily basis so you should get to 8.1 now before the window closes.

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Bit the bullet. Hopefully I won't regret it there's no going back now!

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

This is the same for me, #1 reason I won't update. xCon v36b7 is working great on it under iOS 7.x, and I don't want to lose the ability to stream TiVo to it. It appears xCon ain't getting updated, and there are no other players out there working on it as far as I know, so no thanks.

9. themyst macrumors 6502

I was an early adopter of the jailbreak on the day they announced it, some 8-10 patches and updates later, it's rock solid. AT&T rMini 16GB.

Some of the iOS 7 tweaks aren't yet updated, but they will be soon from what I hear.

10. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

I just used pangu 1.2 on my iPad mini 2 but for some reason my settings will not refresh back to the top even if I double tap the home button to shut it down. When I open the settings back up it just goes back to the same way it was. Anyone else having similar problems?