Anyone take their 27" iMac onto an airplane?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SHNXX, Dec 7, 2014.

1. SHNXX, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

SHNXX macrumors 68000

Hi

I'm flying on international flight soon and was wondering if any of you has ever flown with a 27" iMac in your hands.
    I threw away the box as soon as I bought it and I really don't want to spend money on boxes and sort of need the iMac for work in the foreign country.

I'm flying in first class so there should, in principle, be enough room to put it somewhere but it may be difficult to get through security checks and I may still need some padding around the iMac (don't know where to get these things)
    What do you guys think?

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I would think it would still have to meet carry on requirements even though you're in first class. Best bet would be to call the airline and get their opinion, they'd know best.

3. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

I have wondered about the "padding" issue. I think a clever seamstress/tailor could sell quite a few iMac cozzies that have zippered compartments and a carrying handle. Think if a Krumpler type of messenger bag/neoprene wetsuit to fit snugly around the iMac line.

I would buy one, just to transport my iMac to the occasional trip in my car.

4. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

well, perhaps i have to pay for that $50 iMac box on eBay.

----------

perhaps i should call a bunch of apple stores around the area to see if i could score a free box.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Call the airline - as long as you're not flying coach, I find most are pretty flexible with the rules :).

6. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

7. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

8. batman75 macrumors 6502

Not sure it meets either the size or weight limits for hand luggage. Maximum length for hand luggage is 22" Maximum overall dimensions are 22 x 18 x 10

9. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

Hmm

Safe money on them making you check it at door while trying to board with your monstrous 27" computer.

10. thedeske macrumors 6502a

I'd ship it - much safer IMO, and way less hassle.
    If no one's on the destination end, you can have it held at a carrier
    pickup. Just insure it.

11. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

I am always flying mine around in my private jet. Then I have James Bond parachute out with it once I get over my destination. Works great!

:)

12. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

lol.
    is this regarding the ticket being first class?

surely, you've heard of mileage programs?

13. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Since you're flying First Class, they might be able to fit it into the coat closet (depends on the plane - a 747 is dicey, but they could conceivably put it in the upstairs bag store), but I would not assume they can fit it (cabin crew often put their own bags in there or other airline items so they can only take passenger coats).

You really need to contact the airline and give them the dimensions. Even if they say "yes", you might have issues with the TSA on the outbound from the US or Customs at the destination airport.

You really should just buy a box and ship it via FedEx or UPS.

14. Dyn-tec macrumors member

Be prepared to be delayed at security (even if you have tsa priority).

They don't like computers...will most likely have you boot it up, show that it works and that it is a "real".