Anyone targeting in-store pick up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whiteshadoww, Oct 29, 2016.

1. whiteshadoww, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

whiteshadoww

I see the ship times on the MBP 15" is 3-4 weeks (Nov 29-Dec 6).

My plan of attack is to frequently check the Apple Store app and Apple web site to buy the model I want (15", 2.6, 512, Radeon 460) and pick up at a local store in Los Angeles before mid November. Plausible?

I did the same thing with the iPhone and had my 6s Plus much earlier than friends who ordered online for shipment to their home.

2. Tayljones6 macrumors member

To be honest, I think it will be faster to order it online. You might want to check with a Apple store first but the GPU is BTO territory and they may not have that in stock till next year if ever. If you do find a 4GB GPU it will be in the top tier one with just a $100 difference from what you want.

You could also preorder it and still check in store and cancel when you find it.

The main reason I suggest to pre order is that there are no production ones out right now and with shipping times falling back within a day I don't think most stores will have any real inventory till the start of the year.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I would say check with best buy. I wouldn't be surprised to see them there first. Apparently in another thread someone said their local store had a 15" in stock.

4. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

I ordered a BTO 15" online after the store came back up and selected store pickup instead of shipping. Says it will be available on Nov 25 for me. If you are set on getting one I'd just order online now...

5. jwpoof macrumors member

I have had terrible luck finding CTO builds at Apple Stores, and I live 1/2 a mile from a flagship. In Los Angeles, MacMall and Melrose Mac typically have lots of them in stock in their physical stores. To this day, I have never had to order a CTO because I could always find the configuration I needed at one of these stores.

6. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

Huh? If Apple isn't shipping them for 2-3 weeks I find this hard to believe.

Last year I was able to find a Macbook 12" in BBY before Apple store had them in store, but NOT before apple had shipped them to those who had ordered the initial batch.

I'd love to see proof someone saw a 15" at BBY.

7. nomoresecrets macrumors member

My local store in NJ said they received display models around noon today and they would probably not be getting any stock for sale for at least a month.