Anyone teaching English in South Korea?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lamina, May 1, 2008.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I will be leaving for Seoul in August. I start my TESL certification this weekend.

Has anyone taught English in South Korea or other countries abroad? Any tips?

2. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I have been teaching overseas for nearly 20 years, and was in Korea for a couple, 1999-2001.

PM me if you want more info on Korea.

3. HDhead macrumors newbie

My friend has been teaching English at a college in Bangkok for fifteen years. He makes very little money.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While I've never taught overseas myself, I've known several people (ok exactly three) who have taught in Japan and Korea. At the time the consensus was that Korea had higher work demands placed on their teachers. They all had a good time though but I think Japan was the favorite of all three.

Which program are you involved with? Usually big organizations (like JET) will have a big network of people or a forum where other teachers share their stories and tips. I'd look for things like that right away!

5. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I taught English in South Korea, returned to the US about a year and a half ago. It's good that you are going to Seoul, and very good that it sounds like you're going through a placement company.

Happy to answer any specific questions you might have either here or via PM.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, then I can't imagine how strict it is in Korea. My girlfriend's an English teacher in Japan (she's Japanese), and her day is crazy. Teaching in Japan, as an occupation, is crazy. Goodbye life.

Maybe your experience will be different. After all, I doubt they're going to treat you exactly the same way they would if you were Japanese. My girlfriend said it doesn't really work like that.

7. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Thanks for your input everyone. It seems everyone knows of somebody who's taught abroad. I've sent some PMs. Thanks again.