Anyone that doesn't have an iPhone buying a watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by richardmu, Apr 7, 2015.

1. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I love new Apple products and really like the watch. But, and it's a big but, I don't have an iPhone and have little use for one.
    Trying to find enough reasons to buy a watch anyway. Quite fancy the Sport 42mm space grey with matching band. £349 so not a huge spend for something that may be very limited without an iPhone.
    Anyone else in this situation?

2. sterl320 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't. Too many things you won't be able to do without an iPhone. You'll just be buying a fancy digital watch.

3. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

It is going to do little but charge and wait for an iPhone connection. It requires an iPhone 5 or 6.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

5. fenderjag macrumors newbie

The settings will be handled by the iPhone companion app so you would need an iPhone to set up the watch right out off the box and go through the welcome screens (All speculation on my part but it makes to most sense to me).

6. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

That's like asking, "so, is anyone missing both arms going to buy the Apple Watch?" ;)

7. richardmu thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose I could just use it as an expensive watch that I can change the look of the face to suit my mood of the day! My Rolex always look the same, very boring.
    Seriously though, it could well convince me to ditch the Nokia which I hardly use and get an iPhone which I may use a bit more because of the magical watch.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Even then, you'd have ankles.

9. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

The Apple watch requires an iPhone. It won't work until it's paired with one. You would be wasting your money.

10. Seannyb macrumors member

Seannyb

I suppose you won't be able to do that, not without an iPhone. Im guessing that as soon as you unbox the watch it will want to be paired with an iPhone and until then it will be nothing more than a nice looking piece of metal.

I wonder how much more market share iPhone will have with people buying and using them just to be able to wear and use the watch.

11. richardmu thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that advice. I had a feeling that may be the case.

This could mean the Nokia may be going on eBay very soon and be replaced by an iPhone. I have an obsession with buying new Apple stuff and do not want to miss out with the watch. Sad really but been like that for many years!

12. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Apple Watch requires an iPhone 5 series or 6 series.

13. Denis54 macrumors member

I might be one of the few people who buys one without owning an iPhone. However my son and my daughter both own an iphone 6. I could pair it with one of their phones.

For me the deciding factor will be the accuracy of the heart rate monitor. If the watch is as accurate as a chest strap (I know this is far from sure) I will get one.

The nice watch faces and the heart rate monitor will be enough for my needs. I do not care about the other features. I am retired and nobody calls me anymore :)

14. vc2020 macrumors regular

Finding a cheap used iPhone 5 might be a good option just to be able to pair it and have more options even if you're using it as your primary phone.

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Good luck with that :confused:

16. richardmu thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. I will check out used 5c on eBay.

17. matrix07, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Just bought used iPhone 5 to go with it. Choose the cheapest seller. All problems solved.

Edit: well, vc2020 beat me to it.