Anyone think it will be on back order?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TarHeelBlue, Mar 10, 2015.

1. TarHeelBlue macrumors member

Anyone think people will be lining up out of the doors on/before release day, therefore causing the apple watch to go on back order?

Just curious.

Besides the apple edition, which one do you think will be more popular?

Blue

2. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Yes, because I think Apple like to create that sort of demand. They will have stock on day one but my guess is that it will sell out quickly and go on back order.

Its pretty much been the same with every iPhone version so I can't seeing it been different with Apple Watch.

Alex

3. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

No way the back order lasts months as it does with iPhones. If anything, it'll be 3-6 weeks of uncertain availability, much like iPads. This isn't something the world buys, it's expensive, and an accessory to a device most people are just fine with alone.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

With so many models and bands it's inevitable that not every model and size will always be immediately available and some will be always available. It's not unlike when the the iPod mini first shipped -- silver was impossible to find in stores and green was always the sad lonely shelf monkey.

Which models will be easiest and hardest to find really depends on Apple's production allocation for each style and band. Apple has never had a product with so many SKUs before. It's going to be a learning curve even for them to get allocation right. But worst case a week or two delay. Not months. That would be a disaster, especially for such an impulse purchase product.

5. bob24 macrumors 6502

Very difficult to say, but I wouldn't expect crazy delays:

- Apple has had plenty of time to build up stocks as they announced the product early and didn't have to keep it secret until the last minute
    - First generation product usually only appeal to a more limited audience
    - It is a fairly expensive product given the fact that it essentially is a (very sophisticated) iPhone accessory
    - And maybe most importantly, Apple is planning to launch it in more countries than it did for the original iPhone or iPad launches, so I assume they are confident about their stocks (short backlogs are good to generate hype, but I don't think it is in Apple's interest for customers to be waiting for several weeks)

6. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

I have a feeling the Sport Models will be difficult to get hold off at the start.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think so, and given the lower price for the sports model, that will be the more popular model.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

After the iPhone 6 Plus / 128 GB / AT&T took a month plus to reach my hand when I pre-ordered on day one... Yes, I believe this will be back ordered, too. Each store will get such a limited supply that they will certainly run out.