Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
It seems pretty certain the iMac will be updated in the near future, probably in the next 6 months. However, does anyone think that the update will feature a new case design, or will just be the same case and updated insides?

I know the current design has been very similar for the past 3 years, although there have been slight tweeks. I wonder if it is due for a major redesign that will look radically different than it does currently.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
My guess is the same case design (without the Yellow screen option) with slightly updated inside. The outside is new as of the current model

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
My guess is the same case design (without the Yellow screen option) with slightly updated inside. The outside is new as of the current model

I agree. And we're seeing a consistent look across the line of computers, including the new Mac Mini with its silver unibody design. They are almost all on same color schemes. Silver and black. Except the MacBook Air, which hasn't been updated for a while. I would imagine that the updated version would also benefit the silver/black design.

And then there is the white unibody Macbook (but I feel this is to make some differentiation between the entry level Macbook and the more expensive ones).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
they just got a case redesign less than a year ago. so when an update happens i highly doubt the form factor will change.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
would be great but i don't think so..
just 4850 in the lower 21.5" ( maybe with Core i5-i7 Arrandale)
and the new 5870 HD mobility in the Core i5-i7 ( the 27 " ones )
again..
don't think we will see that new "Giant 22" Ipad" ventilated...somewhere.
(do you need...a touch interface for your mac?...take an Ipad and AirMonitor..)

steveotron

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2009
I doubt it. The update in October '09 was a case redesign, even if it was fairly minor-looking, and it'll probably be another year or year and half before they do another.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Case is going to be the same, maybe some different ports but the overall design will stay the same

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
If they decide to put i5's in the 21.5" iMacs, then I would imagine they'll extend the backs a little... But aside from this, they look darn fine to me!

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
If they jumped Imac to 30'' couldn't they fit serious power inside of it then?

4 TB Hard Drive
Nvidia 280
strongest i7 on the market.

TV Tuner
Blu-Ray
8 Gigs of Ram
Backlit keyboard
USB 3.0

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
If they jumped Imac to 30'' couldn't they fit serious power inside of it then?

4 TB Hard Drive
Nvidia 280
strongest i7 on the market.

TV Tuner
Blu-Ray
8 Gigs of Ram
Backlit keyboard
USB 3.0
Hopefully they'd call it an iMac Pro and use the extra space to give it user serviceable RAM and 3 or 4 2.5'' HDD bays.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
Replacing the Mac Pro line?

Also I'd buy this depending on the price.
Definitely not entirely, but perhaps the low end Mac Pro or something. It's just that iMacs and low end Mac Pros essentially have the same RAM capacity at this point in time, the high end iMac outperforms the low end Mac Pro, and 3.5'' HDD bays are looking less and less necessary. Additionally, getting a display that functions like a 27'' iMac for a Mac Pro costs ridiculous amounts of money.

The low end Mac Pro certainly isnt earning its keep. Even just 2x 2.5'' user serviceable HDD bays would have me investing in an iMac at this point in time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.