Anyone think people are hypercritical of iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Jun 26, 2010.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Don't get me wrong, I love my Apple Products, yet at the same time ... I do have high expectations for them.

We pay a "luxury tax" for our Apple products in expectation that things will work properly: Multitasking, MMS, etc. I feel that if I pay the extra dollars to get something done right, instead of being rushed out.

Now, I feel the iPhone 4 is a very polished product ... at the same time I feel there are some very hypercritical people out there when it comes to the iPhone 4, pointing out every little thing they can find. Antenna issues that can be found on most phones, proximity sensor issues, etc. I think most of these things would be overlooked if we were talking about an HTC phone or BB device.

What do you think?

2. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

It is more that now that Apple is so successful, and has such a good track record, everyone is fixed on them and waiting for them to screw up. The same thing happened to Microsoft when they were the big boys in town. They are experiencing the problems of their own success.

3. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

4. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

Some are. There are always haters. On the other hand, it is clear that some people are experiencing real problems in using the iPhone 4. Those people aren't being hypercritical when they report those problems.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

OP, I love Apple just as much. I'm not trying to bash them. Most of us with this issue just WANT IT FIXED. I'm sure there are some reception issues with other phones, but i'm pretty sure none of them are rendered useless as phones when held in a normal way. See what the problem is?
    I can't hold the phone in my left hand and browse or play games. I can't hold it in my left hand and make calls. To me, that's a problem! All I want is for Apple to fix. Am I being over critical about this? I don't think so.
    Yeah you'll always have trolls who complain about apple no matter what's going on. But this time, the majority of us with this problem JUST WANT IT FIXED. That's it.

6. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

If you like Apple for QUALITY, thats what you would expect to get. A QUALITY Product, straight up and down.

Hows that being a hypocrite?

7. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

As far as rushed out:
    Could you imagine the uproar if Apple had delayed release? It would be like the signal problems, only x1000000000

8. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

The bar on all consumer products has been raised so high that only utter perfection will suffice. We expect all things to be properly spelled, typed, perfect labels, wonderful packaging, the product to feel great when you touch it and when you use it, with flawless execution. We could not imagine that we would live with a product which didn't meet those expectations and more, even if that lack were not effecting the actual functioning of the product. For instance, I detest the feel of the screen on the HTC Blaze. I would not own that phone. Is it a good phone? Yes. Does it even look good? Yes. Does it perform well? Yes. Could I be happy with it for two years and is it cost effective and is it less expensive than an iPhone and could I get just about everything I want on it? Yes. Will I buy it? No.

...and even then some customers will move away from a company because they are "boring" and don't give enough drama for their $. If you buy it and it works, that's dull. There are also consumers who are attention-demanders, who just want attention from companies and fellow consumers and use the platform (stage) of a company for the drama they can generate.

9. gattamelata macrumors newbie

hypercritical? yes! apple will never be able to develop products that please everyone. they can only hope to appease the masses. there will always be peeps out there complaining just to complain.

and as for the antenna issue...i've had the same problem with all my iphones. when i notice the bars are low, i hold it a different way. big deal!

10. bigbigbob macrumors newbie

King of the Hill

The toughest part of being King of the Hill is that everyone else wants to knock you down. And in most cases the would be King of the Hills will ban together and look for any small weakness or flaws to take you down and capture the top spot. I stood in line to get my iPhone4 and I am very satisfied with my decision. Is this "the perfect phone"? No. Is this the best phone (IMHO) for my money right now? Absolutely! That being said, I fully expect every other phone manufacturer to do their best to take Apple off the Top of the Hill. If they are not shooting for the top, they will eventually fail completely. Unfortunately, most of these other companies will resort to attacking Apple without trying to blaze new trails for themselves. I really wish we could see another company work as hard as Apple to be innovative and not spend all their time and resources to just simply be imitators. Enough said.

Sorry for the long rant... :cool:

11. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Definitely. Apple products have higher expectations than their rivals. Its a result of previous iPhones, Apple PR spin, & Fanboy hype. People have been making the same or similar complaints since the first iPhone launch.

12. diabolic macrumors 68000

For those who are just reporting the problem and patiently waiting for Apple to address an issue, then I'd probably agree. It's those who are screaming that they've somehow been misled or ripped off and are reveling in any possibility of a negative effect on Apple that are being ridiculous.

Even though I don't have any reception problems, I know if I did, it would barely take any effort at all to be patient, wait for a fix, and hold the phone differently for a few days.

Even now, there are people saying any fix short of redesigning the phone and recalling them all won't be good enough. That's beyond stupid.

13. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

Agreed.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Understand that most of the posters here a kids w/ zero business experience. Maybe they have great engineering potential, but def. no background in large scale consumer product manufacturing. Of course they are going to shoot off the hip and demand perfect b/c its impossible for them to comprehend the A-Z process and tight deadlines.

Many careers ago I use to be in private-label publishing. My clients had no real conception of the 4C printing process. They assumed it was like printing to a laser printer and would get all PO'd when they wanted to make a last second change and I told them it was impossible b/c the plates were already made.

That said, Jobs, who is usually a master at marketing and mind control, was a little to candid when he said, "Just avoid holding it in that way." If he was intent on saying anything he should have been more nuanced.

15. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Ah, hahahahah!!!! Ummmmm, there is a big difference between being "hypercritical" and a "hypocrite" LMFAO! :lol:

16. lidomkj macrumors regular

Depends on your issues. I am lucky to have zero issues with my new iPhone.

Keep in mind, people waited hours in line (some days) just to get this phone. Of course they are looking for things to be perfect and if it does not live up to expectations or they have major issues, they are going to upset. I understand. We do not see this with other phones because I never seen this kind of demand for a phone. There have been lines for other phones, but not on this scale.

I have had every phone since they were released. Remember the first iPhone? Everyone was hypercritical about no cut/paste, MMS, apps/games, etc. Was Apple slow to introduce these features? I think so, but they were addressed. Negative black screens? Problem phones were switched out and the issue was corrected. Dropped calls, Apple developed software to see how many dropped calls you had and switched out your phone if necessary. The list goes on and on.

I also think that more people have their iPhone with them at all times and their lives are in that phone. Myself included. Look at posts about people who sold their iPhones early/switched and regretted it.

I am glad there are people out there reviewing issues early and finding the smallest to largest problems. As a result of these reviews, it gathered the attention of national news and Apple. If nobody discussed these problems on these forums, maybe none of these issues would ever be addressed.

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yes. Yes I do.

1. The Antenna: Yes, I think it is a design flaw. What I also think is that many people bitching about it now it wouldn't even affect them if some one hadn't pointed it out to them. For those it actually truly affects, they have a true gripe. Unfortunately for htem, I'm thinking if the software fix apple proposes doesn't solve the problem, the choice for them is to decide if having to have a case or hold it differently is worth the good stuff the phone has. If not, they probably should return it while they can. I certainly don't think it makes the phone a piece of junk or unable to get reception (even those who can easily replicate the problem it still gets reception but they have to compromise how they hold it or get a case. I agree for some people the good things about the iphone may not make up for having to make that compromise. But quit acting like the phone can't get reception at all! It's a small corner you can't touch).

And unlike what some people would have you think, I certainly don't think that it is an issue that people are a fool for accepting the phone to have. Everyone uses the phone differently and different things are important (and for how they use it this issue may not even pop up for them). You have to remember not everyone holds the phone the same way so it may not affect them at all. And some of us have to try to replicate the problem (like me) so I don't care if it is something that I have to go ut of my way to get to replicate (and I prefer to hold the phone with my left hand so it would be easier for it to affect me). When I start losing calls cause of it under normal use, I'll change my tune.

2. Other issues: Sorry, defects happen in any device. Some people are bound to get a broken unit. Long as Apple happily replaces it and you don't keep getting hte problem in the new devices, it's not something to hold against the iphone as a whole.

18. tigress666 macrumors 68040

+1 (though I think Steve Jobs response didn't help. Responses like that are PR nightmares and I think we're seeing why).

19. microcolt macrumors regular

I second this.