anyone think the photo app will be updated?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by eroxx, Jun 3, 2011.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

We desperately need this app to be updated to allow for placing photos in albums/etc ... Right?!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes ... im just wondering with all the ios rumors flying, if this is on the radar

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I certainly hope so. Why we can't make albums (folders) is absolutely ridiculous.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree with you.

Last night my next door neighbor was over my house and he is new to iOS and Apple. He got his iPhone 4 two months ago and since then he's taken a lot of pictures, and so last night he was here and asked me "How can I separate these pictures into folders?", my response "Currently you have to use iPhoto to do so", he didn't have a happy face when he heard that.

He doesn't have what he calls a reliable computer so he uses my iMac to back-up and update his phone, but even though he is frequently here and he's my next door neighbor, he doesn't want to have to rely on my iMac all the time to make changes like this to his phone.

Though this is a unique situation, I still agree that it does suck that we have to organize our photos in iPhoto and then sync with iTunes.

The Photos app is just one of many that I would like to see change in iOS 5, it does get rather annoying to always have to Sync with iTunes before changes to affect.

6. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

you can sync folders under the photos tab in itunes. i do that to keep custom wallpapers separate from the camera roll.

7. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I'd bet on it. Even the simplest free photo app has folders. Not everyone syncs photos through iTunes (hate to, myself) and the fact that this most simplest feature is absent from iOS is a joke.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I know that, the problem is that you have to move specific images into folders in iPhoto first and then sync your phone with iTunes. Currently, I don't understand why we can't just manually create a folder directly from our phones and then select like 10 photos from my camera roll and move them.

I know that iOS 5 will be previewed on Monday and I get that iOS is still maturing as a platform, but up until now this constant having to Sync is getting rather tiresome.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just like to say I agree with you all.

One of the very 1st things I did on my iPad the day I got it was to use the photo's app as it was one of the "show-piece" apps on the device.

I browsed the images, then tried to work out how I could make and name a new folder, and then drag the images with my finger into the new folder I just made.

I spend ages trying to work out how to do this, figuring it was such a basic thing I was attempting that I must be being stupid as I could not find the options to make folders and why won't the images drag?

Of course, I then did some readings on Apple forums and found out it was not possible :(

As I said at the time, to me the Photo app just really looks like a "Tech Demo" you would see at a show, and would be told that all the normal functions would be added in before it's final release.

I'm quite surprised it's been neglected all this time as I was expecting it to be updated in the iOS4 update.

Fingers crossed it's going to be put right this time. I do sometimes wonder if Apple are just too small a company that's trying to do too much on too many products, and due to this, things are just either being missed or not getting done due to other products being worked on. :confused:

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

their was a story last year that Apple had only assigned 1 person to create the Remote app, and it took him several months after the iPhone 4 was released for him to release an update to add new functionality and support for the retina display because he had been re-assigned to another project and was to busy.

A similar story came out a few weeks ago about how Apple only assigned 2 guys to port Safari from desktop to iOS. When Apple first began to develop iOS, their were stories that they were pulling resources from the Mac OS team.

So I agree that when something isn't a priority, they dont dedicated any resources to it simply because they can't. Apple only has 30,000 employees compared to Microsofts 90,000.

11. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

have you looked at apple's quarterly financial reports?! they're making money hand over fist...they can certainly hire more programmers and developers to work on the software side if they really wanted to.

that whole argument that they're smaller than MS is irrelevant when they're such a profitable company.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Sorry, but I do not see Making money has anything to do with how good a product is.
    Being clever, creating products people want, or think they want does not automatically make the product as good as it can be.

Clever marketing, consumer appeal, BIG profits etc etc are actually very different to technically very good products.
    You can create something technically excellent, but without the right strategy, marketing, financial backing and other things, it will hardly been seen and die overnight due to lack of sales.

I wish people would stop thinking that selling loads and making lots of money is linked to your product being the very best there ever could be.

13. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

you're misreading my post entirely. i suggest you read it again.

i was replying to the earlier post about someone who said that Apple did not have the manpower to have dedicated resources to work on adding features or improving the software that is bundled with the ipad. the photo app being a prime example of how badly it needs to be updated.

my reply is that apple is making quite enough money that they could afford to hire more resources to work on coding software if they really wanted to.

i've never equated making money with how good a product is...your comment is coming straight out of left field. :confused:

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Apologies if I misinterpreted your post :)

I'm one of the people who saw the superior Betamax fail and the inferior VHS system win, despite anyone who knew anything saying how rubbish VHS was as a format.

I just hope that Apple does not skimp on programmers to make their products as good as they can be.
    It makes me so sad to see great features that their product could have, only available if you jailbreak their hardware.

Whilst I'm sure many unofficial apps are bad as we would not want, it's a shame that Apple cannot select the very best and incorporate them into it's products officially to make it far and away the very best is can be.

15. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I generally agree that Apple should be looking to hire more developers. However doing this is often easier said than done. It takes time to find new people to hire, especially if you want the right people. It also takes time to integrate them into the organisation both in terms of physical space and culture. Finally you have to find tasks for them to do; just adding them to an existing project is difficult because devs need to learn the existing code before they can start making useful contributions. Improving the Photos App is probably somewhere where new guys could be usefully added. However even in this case they would still have to work with the iPhoto and/or the iCloud teams to implement syncing of changes from iOS devices.

I'd imagine that Apple are recruiting as quickly as they feel they are able to.

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It's painfully obvious to me that Apple's working on iPhoto for iOS.

Why extend the effort to modify the current photo app when iPhoto for iOS is in the works.

We now have

iMovie on iPhone and iPad
    Garageband on iPad
    iPhoto should be coming to iPhone/iPad IMO

That brings the iLife triumvirate to iOS and gives PC users a taste of what a Mac offers right out of the box.

winning

17. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You beat me to it. I was gonna bring up this same point. My theory is that the existing photos app will be removed and just replaced with an IOS version of iPhoto. After all, if iMovie and Garageband can be on there, why can't iPhoto?

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

iPhoto sounds good to me, bring it on.

To be honest though, I guess I'd expect it to be a app to purchase and the photo viewing built in app will still be there.

Fingers crossed we don't have long to wait.