Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMaccore2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Boston, MA
Ok. I bought an Imac last december, and i really want a macbook now. My sister wants my imac, and i have about 500 bucks. Should I sell her the imac for half of what i paid for it, (with apple care) or just sell it on ebay and save some $$$

thanks

James Howlett

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Abbotsford
well if ur sister is like mine, as long as it runs messenger, email, word, and internet it'll be good. Be nice to your sis and sell it to her for a reasonable price.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I agree with selling it at a fair price to your sister. eBay may gain you more money, but you could also get ripped off, or regret no longer having it in your household. Not to mention the pain of shipping, listing, and paying fees. Good luck on getting your MB. :)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I disagree with simply selling the iMac for half of what you paid for it, assuming you feel it to be an obligation. You just bought it last December. Since you bought it I assume you had to labor for it.

I do not know what model of iMac you have, but if its resale value will get as much or more than the price of the Macbook you want then I would say it is perfectly fair and reasonable to expect your sister to A.) Give you the money for the Macbook or B.) Buy you the Macbook in trade. Since she is family I would take 10-15% off the current market value at the most. Any less of a discount would be unfair for a family member and more would be unfair to you.

Now if your thoughts are to make the iMac a bit of a gift then yes do accept half price. Really though how much of a gift amount should be what you can afford. I assume from your post that you are in High School and a $500+ hit is a lot for your age and income. If I am completely wrong and you are making over $100K per year then make the whole thing a gift.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'd sell it the sibling(bro for me)

Then I'd never have to worry about regretting the sale(because I could always buy it back at a late date or at least play with it if I wanted to)

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
Even if you aren't very fond of your sibling, I would say sell it to her. It'll always be there if you need it for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.