Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_Convert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2023
I REALLY want to try and get this device, so I am coming up with reasons why I should :p. Anyone think they could actually try and replace a TV with it? If you look at it as your new "TV" suddenly the price might not be QUITE as bad.

My main hobbies are shows/movies and games. I am starting to think if I am ok with putting it on for shows and playing games on (remote play) as my "main" screen. I have a MacBook as well, so would it make me more effective to have a GIANT screen instead of just sitting on my lap> Anyway, am I crazy for thinking it could actually work? Obviously no super long sessions as it would get annoying, but maybe it could be a replacement. What if we dont need to arrange our living rooms around a TV going forward, as it could be anywhere with a headset........

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
It can replace some, but not all use cases of a TV for me. It’ll certainly become my go-to ‘watching TV show episodes alone’ device. Won’t replace the TV for family movies or live sports games, though.

Mac_Convert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2023
In the comfort of my own home with no neighbors nearby I will not be using anything on my face or in my ears.
I will say its definitely not winning the "convenient" battle. BUT having used VR headsets for media, its really awesome to watch on a movie theatre sized screen. Resolution was always the iffy part, but this will be top notch resolution. I could easily watch an entire football game or something with it on. Maybe take a break at halftime, but could be pretty cool in my opinion.

VPsmith

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2023
It will quickly adopt all the existing streaming services.. specifically because it is a computer. It has safari and it will have many iPad and iPhone apps day one. Will it replace shared TV viewing? Not until everyone has a future pair of these goggles / glasses.

Someone said VP is a niche product. It is not niche. It's Apples vision for the future of computing. For everyone who isn't vision impaired- this will be the go to for computing. Especially once it's a pair of glasses instead of headset VR, which is probably 5-6 years from now. Apple is going to invest billions into manufactures making this product.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
I looked at the Apple Vision Pro at Apple’s website and was immediately reminded of the movie Ready Player One. It certainly seems like the perfect device for something like The Oasis virtual world.

Reactions: Average Pro

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I will say its definitely not winning the "convenient" battle. BUT having used VR headsets for media, its really awesome to watch on a movie theatre sized screen. Resolution was always the iffy part, but this will be top notch resolution. I could easily watch an entire football game or something with it on. Maybe take a break at halftime, but could be pretty cool in my opinion.
Everyone is different obviously. I’m fortunate to have a large enough TV and audio system that a simulated theater screen and whatever weak audio is not enough to win me over. Additionally, I don’t live alone so it’s just weird to watch things solo and be introverted in my own house.

zachyy

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2023
I REALLY want to try and get this device, so I am coming up with reasons why I should :p. Anyone think they could actually try and replace a TV with it? If you look at it as your new "TV" suddenly the price might not be QUITE as bad.

My main hobbies are shows/movies and games. I am starting to think if I am ok with putting it on for shows and playing games on (remote play) as my "main" screen. I have a MacBook as well, so would it make me more effective to have a GIANT screen instead of just sitting on my lap> Anyway, am I crazy for thinking it could actually work? Obviously no super long sessions as it would get annoying, but maybe it could be a replacement. What if we dont need to arrange our living rooms around a TV going forward, as it could be anywhere with a headset........
Personally, I don't think this will take off. Most people are not going to want to strap an AR headset to their heads to watch television. Now, I'm sure someone said the same thing about the iPhone 16 years ago, but I highly doubt that people will actually want to wear one of these things for purposes other than the novelty of it.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
We've discussed it as a TV, because we don't want to have a particularly large television in our rather small home. The piece I'm not sure it will satisfy is the interaction of laughing at the screen and seeing the person next to you also laughing. There's something communal about television that I think might get missed.

They'll also need to synchronize playback across multiple devices because there's nothing worse than having someone laugh or jump a split second before the joke or fright lands for you. Ever have that experience on an airplane where you want to watch the same seat back movie as your neighbor and you try that 1-2-3-go routine to try to get them running together? That seems easy enough to solve, mind you...

nmart1214

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
I see AR glasses like Xreal as more of a TV replacement than Vision Pro will ever be. It’s a form factor and weight issue.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
I think it will be a possibility when the Vision Pro gets cheaper. I almost see it as AirPods and a stereo speaker; many people will choose the AirPods since its simply more immersive.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I see AR glasses like Xreal as more of a TV replacement than Vision Pro will ever be. It’s a form factor and weight issue.
The biggest issue with XReal is that the virtual screen is anchored to your head, so when you subtly move your head to the left to look at the left side of the screen, the screen moves with your head. There's an accessory where you can have a screen that's rotationally locked to your environment, but then the limited FOV becomes an issue.
Oh, and the video feed is transparent, so you either lose awareness of your surroundings or you can see your environment behind the screen.
So basically it's worse than the Vision Pro in every way besides weight/comfort and portability...
...but there are options like the Bigscreen Beyond that show how much smaller VR headsets can be.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
As someone with PSVR2 I cannot fathom putting all that weight on my head & neck whenever I want to watch a show or movie. But that’s subjective - as is said time and time again on these forums, buy what you want. If you can afford the price and you will find joy in using it, then buy it. Life is short my friend

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I think the only place this could replace a TV for me is on a budget airline full of screaming kids on the way to some god awful holiday resort.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
compared to a price of a new tv it’s not that bad?

it only serves 1 watcher and you need to wear it on your head lmao

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Resolution was always the iffy part, but this will be top notch resolution.
It will effectively be less than 4K. The pixels also aren’t 1:1, meaning that even for 1080p content, I would expect more “upscaling” artifacts than when using a regular 4K TV.

We can speculate all day long, but in the end you’ll have to try it out in practice if it’s good enough for you or not. Presumably there will be the usual 14-day return period.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
compared to a price of a new tv it’s not that bad?

it only serves 1 watcher and you need to wear it on your head lmao
Exactly. You can buy multiple quality 80”+ televisions for under $3500 from the major brands.

The AVP will fail but I think it’s supposed to. Those with the money, time, and curiosity will foot the bill for the next generations better suited for the masses. If Apple is good at one thing, it’s being stubborn about their products until it becomes widely adopted because they are rich enough to sustain losses for long periods of time.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
This. Not until the form factor is the same as a pair of sunglasses.

And it WILL get there, will just take time and technology progress. but it WILL happen.
Honestly, I would’t count on it within my lifetime. It will require several very substantial technological breakthroughs that may or may not ever happen.

To pick one of the simpler ones, phone-sized battery technology has barely improved over the past decade, despite enormous incentives. I wouldn’t necessarily expect it to shrink down to sunglasses stem size within the next couple decades. And e.g. 10 grams already make a substantial difference in comfort for sunglasses. (My current ones weigh just 15 grams.)

Reactions: arkitect

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
It’s not even trying to replace a television, it’s trying to be AirPods for your eyes.
AirPods can do surround audio, doesn’t mean they’re actually better or more worth it than an actual 7.1.4 Atmos set-up. But you can’t take your 7.1.4 set up in your bag.

Likewise, having a massive TV still will have its place, but you can’t take your massive TV with you.

Maybe for people who do tons of traveling and can’t really justify having a television in their home this could totally replace their television, but it doesn’t mean they’ll never look at a television again.

This thing doesn’t even scratch the surface of what people use their televisions for. A lot of people use them to help themselves fall asleep, people use them for watching events live with family, and so on and so on.

If this device obsoletes anything, or makes anything more niche, it’s going to be the tablet.
Even down to its operating system, it’s basically just iPadOS in 3-D.

Once they can create some sort of Apple Pencil like drawing experience in augmented reality, and obviously once the price goes down, that is what I see it replacing.

Even more so when you consider that the most expensive iPad Pro is already approaching $2500, and adding both the pencil and keyboard cause it to go up to almost $3000.
Very close to Vision Pro territory.

But if it’s going to replace anything, it’s still going to take a very long time. The iPhone replaced the iPod, but iPods were still on sale from Apple until 2022, and even basic iPods like the nano and shuffle were on sale until 2017 and still being updated in 2012, five years after the original iPhone. It very well might be a long, slow road ahead for this type of technology.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Honestly, I would’t count on it within my lifetime. It will require several very substantial technological breakthroughs that may or may not ever happen.

To pick one of the simpler ones, phone-sized battery technology has barely improved over the past decade, despite enormous incentives. I wouldn’t necessarily expect it to shrink down to sunglasses stem size within the next couple decades. And e.g. 10 grams already make a substantial difference in comfort for sunglasses. (My current ones weigh just 15 grams.)
This is assuming the batteries would actually be in the glasses, something I don’t see as likely.
If it were ever possible to shrink everything that Vision Pro does down to something the size of a pair of sunglasses, I assume the external battery pack would still remain.
Maybe they can figure out a way to deliver true wireless power from the pack in your pocket to the glasses on your face, but even if not there’s still plenty of room for success in that market.
Look at Apple‘s best selling product, it’s not like people are afraid to have something in their pocket.
And people are already more than comfortable these days carrying around battery banks and chargers, it’s not like a product is going to live or die by an external battery pack.

But even then, I never see these type of head worn products as being something that everyone has like a smart phone, because something being on your face doesn’t always mean that it’s the most convenient.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK

Having had Oculus DK2 and Samsung Gear VR, the immersion factor (in games) cannot be described, it needs to be experienced. Even on those lower end devices the extra dimension is amazing.

I would recommend a test run before committing to purchase.
From my experience extended periods of use can get very tiring (depending on the user).
So viewing a 2-3 hour film may be a struggle for some.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.