Anyone thinking about ebaying or craiglisting their mbp due to the nvidia crisis?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 3, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm not actually going to do it (maybe there is some hope since apple down clocks their gpu using their own specified drivers for osx) but I'm thinking about selling the 17" hi res mbp and list it on ebay before Nvidia officially names all the chipset/gpu that has the issues and drives the current mbp with any nvidia 8600m gt cards prices down.

2. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

It's a moot point if you're covered under applecare.

For selling purposes though, craigslist is great. You end up getting around the same prices as on ebay, without having to pay a bunch of fees, and most of the time the deal can be done in purpose so you have less to worry about as far as scams go.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I guess your right.. I'm about to receive my apple care through the mail next wednesday but still hesitant about adding my 17" hi res mbp to apple care.

Ever since the Nvidia scare apple care replacing the whole logic board if my card dies within the next 3 years still doesnt sound too good to me...

4. notatrumpetpro macrumors member

I like craigslist too, but I'd be careful. There was a thread a while back about a guy selling his MBP on craigslist and when he met up with the buyer he was mugged and robbed. So just make sure and do craigslist sales at a busy, public place and maybe bring a friend with you.

5. hewcardpacklet macrumors member

Why would it not be good? It would make your MacBook Pro all clean and new again (at least the inside), therefore possibly increasing the lifetime of the machine...

However, I had a Dell inspiron with the CompleteCare warranty - they replaced the board 3 times in that machine during 3 years of coverage, and after the last replacement, the machine lasted only a few months... then the warranty was no longer in effect.

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I think sooner or later either Apple or NVIDIA will address this issue and take care the current MBP customers.

As for me (knowing on wood), I dont have any issues with my MBP.

7. bov macrumors 6502

Can someone please inform me as to what this 'Nvidia Crisis' is? :confused:

8. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Just apple's logic board replacements almost always end with something else going wrong within 6-12 more months..

Usually the machines that work fine from the beginning will last for 7+ years.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Details are on this thread. Be sure to read the first post in that thread.

10. bov macrumors 6502

oh crap!!! im feelin pretty scared right now