Anyone thinking about [iPad + non iPhone] route?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolwater, Feb 23, 2010.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Instead of iPad + iPhone, perhaps iPad + Android phone or Blackberry or just plain cell phone sounds any better?

I've asked the same question with the iPod Touch before and many have said they don't want to carry 2 devices.

With the iPad, you're already carrying 2 devices, and the iPad will probably give better user experiences in many cases - certainly for many apps.

IMO, it's inevitable that iPad + iPhone would become just too redundant for many people.

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I personally wont be carrying the iPad with me all of the time. I'll only really be carrying it when I have meetings. The rest of the time the iPhone will do. So at least for me the iPad does not replace my iPhone.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1

I'll have a use for it, but it won't be such that I'll have it with me all of the time.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

+1

Agreed.

5. elmo151 Guest

+2

6. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Another issue, at least re: a "regular" cell phone instead of a smartphone, is the requirement to look up a number in your address book on your iPad and then manually dial it on the phone.

I have 2500+ contacts in my address book as it is, but even if I only had 100 numbers I would hate to have to manually enter them into a regular phone's memory.

Yuck.

It's iPad + iPhone for me.

7. nastebu macrumors 6502

I've thought about this. It would be very nice to pay for only one data plan, and the data plan on the iPad is more bang for the buck because the bigger screen seems like it would be just so much more useful.

But I'm not sure it's practical for the reasons people have mentioned:
    1.) you'd have to carry your iPad around pretty much all the time you want email access
    2.) you'd lose gps/maps on the iphone, which is absurdly useful
    3.) the beauty of the iPhone is the ubiquitous web access--it's so easy to carry a phone. It feels like it's a step back.

So I've decided not to do it. My iPad will be wifi only.

By the way, one complication on this is that many applications are designed to sync the desktop version with one mobile device. For example, I use iBank and Bento, both of which have great iPhone applications, and both of which can only sync with one device. That's unfortunate, because I suppose it means I'm going to have to choose which device--iPhone or iPad--to sync with which application. Bento will be so much more useful on the iPad, but iBank needs to be with me all the time, so it will stay on the iPhone. The situation is just wrong.

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Is it possible that they might update to include multiple devices? I don't know how syncing works in apps so no idea what the limitations are.

Anyway, I was actually considering going strictly iPad-only. No iPad + something. Just iPad.

Unfortunately, while you can get Skype to run in the background (hopefully they'll find a way to jailbreak it) and use the mobile number on Skype, you can't receive texts through that, which is a shame :(. The only thing that would stop me from replacing my iPhone with an iPad is the SMS :/.

Anyway, for me, I think the iPad + iPhone route is good. Yes, it sounds redundant, but if you think about it, that's good! You don't have to miss any features when using one or the other. Once in a while I go to purchase phones from AT&T to see if they can replace my iPhone 3G, but I find that I have to carry my iPhone 3G around anyway because I miss how easy it is to surf the web or how smooth and high quality the games are for it, so much so that I wish I never bought the other phone and/or return it.

9. oneeach macrumors member

I have a very low need for mobile communications so I currently get by on about $80 a year of pay-as-you-go with a simple cell phone. I'm not even sure if I'll get a 3G version of the iPad or not, but I do know that I'll carry the iPad with me to more places then I do my MBP.

10. frank.deale macrumors regular

Regular phone and iPad for when I am on the road and need the internet.