Anyone thought of this?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by marine610610, Oct 15, 2007.

1. marine610610 macrumors regular

Like the iPhone, maybe the next apple update for these things will not be compatible with an iPod that has had jailbreak run on it? I doubt it will brick it as i can see that most everyone here has been able to restore no matter how bad they jacked up the command line install. Im new to Macs, grateful for the GUI jailbreak versions, but wondering if Apple is waiting to drop the bomb and force us all to start over at square one? Anyone think its possible Apple would release something that would "brick" this thing? They do not seem to be fond of people tinkering with their devices....

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's quite likely but when an update comes out you have two choices:
    1) Don't install the update
    2) Put your phone in restore mode then update

I definitely wouldn't recommend updating a jailbroken iPod - it's far safer to put it back to a "known state" before going anywhere near a firmware update. I think the bottom line is that if you jailbreak the iPod you do it on the understanding that any updates will effectively wipe out any apps, customisation, etc you may have put on there and you'll have to start again. If you're happy with those constraints (as I am), then go ahead and break free. If not, then leave the iPod locked up :)

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple has a record of bricking iPhone, so everybody knows the answer.

when apple releases next update. hacked owners just need to ask themselves,
    if NOT, just WAIT for the hackers to come up with new hacks and guide before doing any update.