Anyone track thier podcast downloads?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djsound, Sep 8, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

So I am trying to track how many times the mp3 of my podcast is downloaded every month. Feedburner sounds like hte best option that I have found but I would have to re-setup with itunes with the feedburner feed....and I do not want to do that because I will lose all my subscribers. Anyone know of another way?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use Podtrac. It's pretty good and gives a nice level of detail.

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I saw that one too but I'd prefer something maybe server-side if possible so I dont have to lose all my subscribers when setting it up

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

With Podtrac, you just add bit of code to the URL string and it tracks that way. This is what it looks like in my XML file:

<enclosure url="http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.blahblahblah.mp3" length="10924325" type="audio/mpeg"/>

5. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

You add that in the XML file? Or woukd I have to resubmit to iTunes?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

First, obviously, you have to register your podcast with Podtrac (free) and then you just add that bolded code to your XML file. You do not need to re-register with iTunes or anything. So if your subscribers are using www.blahblahblah.com/mypodcast.xml, you add the bolded in front of the www...

Users keep the same link and they never see any difference.

7. SoundByter macrumors newbie

I use podpress... It's great when it works. There have been many updates recently that haven't been terribly stable. The developer has been responsive though. Keeping my fingers crossed...

8. djsound, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I am confused. I signed up but nowhere does it say to add that bolded bit to my url. It just says to 'add a show'. I don't want to do this wrong because I can not afford to lose my subscribers....

edit - you can also add some kind of "extra" to your awstats config file on your server then awstats should show you but I cant get it to work. I added the extra but when i look at *.m4a downloads in awstats it still says nothing...

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

They've changed their website since the last time I logged in, but "Add Show" is what you want to do. Follow the steps and fill in all the information and then you'll get what you need to add to your XML file.

10. djsound, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Thanks Sandbox. I added the show but it didn't give me anything to add to my xml file.. =/ Maybe it has to scan the episodes. It says to give it 24 hours so I guess I will wait..

got it working well see how it goes. thanks again

11. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Podtrac seems a bit weird....So i went ahead and added my feed to Feedburner....I know I will lose current subscribers but at least it will give me the freedom to change things later...