Anyone transferring from Aperture to iPhoto for iPad?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by opticalserenity, Jan 27, 2010.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I want to transfer to iPhoto from Aperture in preparation for the iPad. Honestly, Aperture is long in the tooth, slow, and doesn't have technologies that I find useful like Places and Faces. I love some of the pro tools in it, but not enough to keep me.

Anyone else doing it? Trying to figure out the safest way to do it... I mean, I know I can export, but didn't know if I was missing something.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, its really not geared for photographers.

The workflow would be awful. Import images from the memory card to your mac. Sync the images from the mac to the iPad. Load them iPhoto and then keyword, categorize and edit them?

What happens when you need to edit the images in photoshop?

While I'll grant you that aperture is long in the tooth, going to the iPad is not the answer and FWIW, apple is said to be readying an upgrade to aperture, probably within the next couple of weeks.

If you're really tired of aperture, then try Lightroom. Why go with a device that's ill suited for editing, categorizing and maintaining your images.

Don't forget you don't have any hard drive and the storage will quickly disappear if you try to use the iPad as an aperture replacement. Heck, my aperture library was in excess of 60gig before jumping over to LightRoom. Plus Aperture gives you the vault feature to easily backup your images. Have you considered how you'll backup your images?

3. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wasn't intending on using the iPad as a standalone replacement for Aperture. What I was saying was I would switch to iPhoto, so that when the iPad comes out, it all works together well.

I agree the workflow just isn't there, and the Loupe is a requirement. Aperture is great at what it does, just super slow, not 64-bit, not Cocoa based...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but your post kind of indicated that you were moving away from aperture to iphoto on the ipad.

Even if you're not dumping aperture and your mac, I don't think too many photographers will be adding the device, it doesn't fit into the workflow as I noted and it increases your work even if you plan on using it as a secondary device.

The only thing I could image it being useful for is showing customers their images. Giving them that wow factor when you whip out the ipad. Other then that its not a good fit for photographers imho.

Just my $.02

Peace
    Mike

5. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I should have said "I'm buying an iPad anyways" and don't need it just for photography. It obviously does much more than just that. What I was saying was I think Aperture is extremely long in the tooth and needs to be rewritten so it's not so amazingly slow. As much as I love a lot of the pro features of Aperture, it's just not that good of an app anymore. When I use it, I feel like I'm using a Mac from 5 years ago.

As for Adobe, I don't like their products, out of necessity I use Photoshop, but that's it. I don't think they make good software, and I especially hate Flash, it would be a cold day in h*ll before I decided to start moving over even more of the workflow to Adobe products like Lightroom.

And yes, the wow factor is important, and I think the iPad will make an amazing device for that purpose. And for casual photography, I would like a system where I can quickly pick which out of the 50 shots I just took I like the best, do a little cropping and touching up, just basic stuff, and upload to sites like Flickr. For that, I think the iPad will shine.

6. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I know this is old, but this thread is pretty high on Google when searching Aperture and the iPad and the info is now very misleading. Aperture 3 does support faces/places, has a very clean interface, is very fast, and supports direct syncing to the iPad.

I'm going the opposite way from the OP and omitting iPhoto - I've been required to precess images in Lightroom and then import and exported jpg set into iPhoto just to get them on the iPad. Now I can just import the whole iPhoto library into Aperture and make all adjustments there and just sync them without the second app.

7. barenature, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

barenature macrumors newbie

Another solution might be Pixelsync for Aperture and iPhoto. I am developing this application as I wanted to be able to import my photos from Aperture to my iPad and be able to rate them on the iPad.

Aperture has been updated to easily import photos via iTunes, but the thing is that you still can't do very much with those images on your iPad (in terms of rating, for example).

8. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Yeah Aperture supports Places/Faces etc. and syncs to iPad. Apple even fixed a bug where it wouldn't show any Faces unless you manually selected them in iTunes. Now iPad shows just the faces present on your iPad (automatically) and only those photos you choose to put on your iPad (not all of them).