Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wailoon.ho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hi,
I'm currently using MacBook 13.3 unibody (MacBook5,1).
And I plan to upgrade the ram becuase 2gb is really not enough to run vmware.

I found OWC and they claim that 6gb is ok to run in MacBook5,1.
I'm not sure is this really work cause Apple said 6gb(4gb+2gb) which is not in pair will not help in the performance.

So, I would like to know is there anyone tried to upgrade to 6gb in their MacBook5,1?
Is it really work well??

Thank You.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
OWC has, and it works fine

The small percentage you get by matching pairs doesnt outweigh the larger bonus you get with more ram.

however, if you just need more ram for one application, just going to 4 gigs will be more than fine.

Especially since 4 gigs is $90 and 6 gigs is $300...

Not sure where you are in the world, theres also this: http://www.frys.com/product/5599280

wailoon.ho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
According to Apple resellers, I should only buy ram from them cause Apple will not warranty my machine if the ram I'm using not bought from them.

Is this true? And should I buy ram from Apple?
Their price is almost double from what I found online...

zbasarab

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
According to Apple resellers, I should only buy ram from them cause Apple will not warranty my machine if the ram I'm using not bought from them.

Is this true? And should I buy ram from Apple?
Their price is almost double from what I found online...

No, that is an outright lie. You can upgrade ram and your harddrive without losing your warranty, regardless of which brand you use.

wailoon.ho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Ok.
Understood.
So now I only need to decide either upgrade to 4gb or 6gb... :confused:

zbasarab

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
Ok.
Understood.
So now I only need to decide either upgrade to 4gb or 6gb... :confused:

Get the 4gb.

6 is way overpriced atm. If sometime in the future you decide you need the full 6, you can buy it for much cheap (6 months from now 4gb sticks should be significantly cheaper)

wailoon.ho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Get the 4gb.

6 is way overpriced atm. If sometime in the future you decide you need the full 6, you can buy it for much cheap (6 months from now 4gb sticks should be significantly cheaper)

Ok.
Thanks for all the advices.
Will buy this month end... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.