Anyone tried a 3.5" Vertex 2 in a MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DELTAsnake, Feb 17, 2011.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I see that OCZ makes there Vertex 2 drive in a 3.5" version. Before I go grab one I just want to make sure it lines up correctly on a MP HDD sled and connector.

I was going to get a 2.5" drive and put it in my optical bay, but if this 3.5" version of the Vertex 2 lines up with a MP sled I'll grab on of them instead.

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Yes, it lines up perfectly.

You will find that the first time you tighten the 4 screws (the sleds use the top set of screw holes remember) they are a bit tight to get all the way home. Be patient and don't over-tighten because the SSD case is plastic.

Once you have done it once, the screws are easier to manipulate the second time because you have "tapped" the holes.

EDIT : remember you won't get a temperature reading from the SSD like you would from the default HDD and also the thinner SSD doesn't make contact with the little metal spring contact that the regular HDDs do. I assume that is some form of grounding contact?

3. DELTAsnake thread starter macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Great, I'll go buy one now.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Nope, temperature sensor. You were on the right path. ;)

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I've mounted both a Vertex 2 and an Agility 2 (both 3.5" models) in the sleds. They fit fine.

6. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Here's mine...

[​IMG]

IMHO...

SSD's are great IF you're not waiting for a bleedin' RAID card to initialized first... Completely defeats the object, if your using hardware RAID!!! :mad::mad: