Anyone tried a 320Gb or 500Gb in a PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MattZani, Jul 1, 2008.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Wanting to upgrade my PS3 Hdd again, last i heard 250Gb was the max size supported, but this was the time when 250Gb was the biggest available, but could it be software limiting? My Other option is Go for the 500Gb Hdd, and put that in my MBP, and take the 250Gb and put that in my PS3 (To be honest, i would go with this if i didnt have to take my lovely MBP apart)

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

A 320 or 500 works fine, but I don't see why you need 500GB unless you are like me and have 34 games plus around 15 downloaded games and some DL content, or you burn all your music/video/pictures to the PS3 instead of using a cheap and easy solution like medialink to stream them.

I upgraded to a 320 from 160 due to all the installs from my games and the games I downloaded taking up quite a bit of space. I still had 65GB free on the 160, but figured the 320 was cheap enough so why not.

If you look at the PS3's cluster size/bit mask it can support up to 8TB of storage, however the boot sector limits it to 2TB. You are far off from meeting those limits.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Well I keep a copy of all my music, ripped DVD's, photo's etc on my PS3, and then PSN Games, HD Trailers and clips, PlayTV is coming
    soon too.

I have about 30Gb left from 160Gb, and I think that 30Gb will be gone by the time PlayTV is released :S

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

can you not use an external drive? Or use the media centre thinggy in the PS3 to connect to your home network? Might ease up the media space needed.

5. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Could, but i move my PS3 quite alot, so Media Server isnt the best idea, and i dont like things attached to my PS3, Internal is so much cleaner :)

6. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Could, but i move my PS3 quite alot, so Media Server isnt the best idea, and i dont like things attached to my PS3, Internal is so much cleaner :)