Anyone tried an iphone repair through o2? its not fun..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pw1500, Feb 26, 2008.

1. pw1500 macrumors regular

pw1500

Just wondering if anyone else has tried to process a repair through an o2 store.

Basically I have had a bit of a nightmare its been 3 weeks and I still have no iphone. on the 4th feb my iphone could no longer receive reception. So I took it into an o2 store in cheltenham. I spoke to customer services and they tried a few crappy tests, removing sim card, hard reset, ect. Still no luck, so they told me it will be sent away for repair.

I was advised on the phone this process will take no longer then 3 days. I returned to the store after a week with no call, they told me its going to take a maximum of 14 days. Its now been 3 weeks I go into the store almost every other day and they fob me off with some awaiting an email from the repair centre story, and show me that its 'in the final repair' status.

I've been promised line rental compensation, but really I just want my iphone back. I've since been told if I had taken into the apple store they would have straight swapped it which really frustrates me.

Anyone else had this problem??

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Considering how i was paying attention when the people at the AT&T store told me that apple handles that sort of thing.

No.

Personally I have to say this is some-what your fault for this happening.

Sounds like the R-tard at the store decided to follow default procedure for repair your phone and in doing so sent your phone into a limbo created by the fact that O2 has no part in iPhone technical support.

Maybe you'll get lucky like i did with alienware and get a phone-call explaining that your next iPhone is free so please stop posting your horor story on the internet.

3. jdayes macrumors newbie

iphone 3G mute button

I cannot believe how useless o2 are with this type of thing. My mute button fell off so i took the phone back to the store, it was not due to accidental damage as i'd only had the phone for 3 days!
    I was told the repair would take one week maximum, it's not one month on and they are still fobbing me off, after reading a few forums i can see that a lot of people have had the same issue with button, but they all seem to have had instant replacements!!! I shall be heading back to the store today with some serious issues unless i get a new handset or my phone back!

4. Stepper macrumors regular

Goto the 02 shop, get your iPhone back, take it to the Apple shop, get it replaced there and then.

</thread>

5. Sdancott macrumors regular

Sdancott

if you've only had the phone for 3 days, ask politely for an exchange at the O2 shop, if they won't play ball, just ask for a full refund, which they should give, no questions asked, up to 14 days.

i had a problem with my iphone after only 5 days, went back to O2, they swapped it there and then, no repairs involved

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

That ain't gonna happen if the phone has already been shipped to their regional clearing center as the OP indicated.

7. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

There's still a strong case for O2 to break open a new one for being totally ***** useless. Ask for a new handset.

Under the UK Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to repair OR replacement. Tell them that it's unreasonable for them to falsely set your expectations and then keep you waiting for weeks on end for the repair, and therefore you want a replacement.

Reimbursement of line rental does not begin to compensate you for inconvenience, lost time (including several visits to the shop) and travel costs due to an ongoing lack of proactive communication to you regarding your fault ticket. Say enough is enough and you are not willing to leave the store until they 'make good' the current situation. If they do not hold your phone, they should give you a new one. Do you have your SIM, or is it still in your iPhone? If they have it, insist on a priority 24 hour port of your existing number to a new SIM. If they will not give you a replacement, ask for your money back and a cancellation of your phone account with no termination fee. Remember, they are in the wrong, don't let them give you the impression you are the one who's being unreasonable.

If you're not getting anywhere with the spotty pleb behind the till, insist on speaking to the manager, they will have discretionary powers for cases such as yours. If they will not help, ask to speak to the area manager, even if it's on the phone, in the store.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Go at a quiet time when you'll get a reasonable amount of attention. Keep your calm. Speak in a quiet, reasoned tone. Do not lose your temper. Do not swear. If you explain your situation to the manager in a reasonable tone, he or she is far more likely to be inclined to help. If you are abusive, human nature will lead them to think you an ass and they will not want to help.

Best of British luck to you, Sir.

8. Psyxologos macrumors regular

Can the OP take the phone to an Apple store despite buying it from an O2 outlet? I did not know this was possible. can someone confirm please?

9. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

You can, but apparently they will also take it away for repair. You will only get an on-the-spot exchange if you purchased through an AppleStore originally. This is why upgraders are teed off - you could only purchase from an AppleStore in the first place if you were a new subscriber - existing subscribers had to buy from O2...

10. davem7 macrumors member

Not true. Bought my phone at an O2 store, got it replaced at an Apple Store twice - original phone had a very nasty crack in the surface by the mute button, and first replacement had no contrast in the screen. Absolutely no problems with getting it replaced - had bought the contract just in case but they never even asked for it.

11. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

12. davem7 macrumors member

Sorry, just re-read that and I sounded a bit harsh/abrupt there in my reply - long day at the office :) Really just wanted to point out that you can get it replaced in the Apple Store even if you bought at O2.

13. Psyxologos macrumors regular

Thanks lads, very helpful. This sounds good!

Cheers!

14. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Since the warranty is a manufacturer's warranty, yes, Apple will sort out any problems with an iPhone - regardless of where it is bought.

I have had my O2 store bought iPhone 3G replaced at Apple Regent Street, absolutely no questions asked.

15. jhiphone macrumors newbie

Just a Thank you for this thread really,

I have had bad experiences with o2 and reading up on iPhone repairs, especially this thread, I decided to take my phone to Apple store directly, within 10 mins I had a replacement iPhone. No problems, very professional and I am clearly satisfied with Apple.

o2 is probably is the best carrier but when it comes to repairs and getting money from them, they are certainly stubborn and poor at times.

This thread helped bypass the further problems with o2 so thank you.

Much appreciated.

Jonathan :apple:

16. alexboy45 macrumors regular

i have had my gen 1 iPhone and my G3 replaced in an apple store and i got them from an o2 store and carphone warehouse. i would never go back to o2 with a faulty phone. i had once and they would only deliver it back to my house during the day when i am work and nobody is in. i ended up doing a 70 mile round trip to collect it from the delivery guys as they had tried delivering it 4 times with out luck.

Both times at the Apple store it was a case of a quick diagnostic run through and a replace there and then. it took about 20 min each.

17. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

My experience is completely different than the rest of you. However, i think the reason is because i optioned for the O2 insurance. Once, one of the iphone functions didn't work so they replaced it within few days. The other time I accidentally dropped the phone into the toilet :eek: again they replaced it within a week or so (though i paid the 3G claim fee).

18. philstone macrumors 6502

The digitiser in my 2G has recently given up the ghost... Will Apple repair/replace it? I've heard that for the digitiser they will even if its out of warranty....?