Anyone tried an SSD in a macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dazey, Aug 25, 2009.

1. dazey macrumors 6502

I have an old C2D 2.33 GHz macbook pro that is getting tired. It has had one hard disk upgrade already but I think its getting slowed down as it is quite full now and has a decent churn on data. I am considering getting a 120 or 256GB SSD (which is too small for me to use by itself) and mounting it in the optical disk slot to use as a boot/main drive and use the HDD for extra storage. My optical drive is flaky now anyway, cant write disks with it any more and its rarely used.
    Anyone moved to SSD and got any experience? Was it worth it? I am looking at the Crucial or OCZ ones

2. pprior macrumors 65816

LOL, nope that's never been done....

(search is your friend) :rolleyes:

3. dazey thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Just put a RUNCORE SATA IV in my Daughters MBP, boots in 9 seconds ready to use, shuts down in 5 seconds, difference is day and night. Programs open faster than you can click:eek::eek:
    I am putting one in my 2.4 BMB for my wife, as I already have one in my 2.2 BMB, this is the way computing should be! Steep at $799 for the 256 MB version:eek: What is really interesting is NOW the MB see's all 6GB of RAM

5. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

Kingston SSD

I put one in and it is phenomenal. In fact, I've decided to put one in my 17" MBP as well. It is well worth the cost.

6. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

9 seconds huh? I have the MP in my signature that doesn't even boot that fast. Mind telling me how you got those neck-breaking speeds out of a MBP?

You are timing from the second you hit the power button ALL the way to a full loaded desktop right?

7. dazey thread starter macrumors 6502

Certainly sounds like its worthwhile but with some research to find the best performance/cost balance

8. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

That's easy, Intel X-25 80gb, for 229.99 at Newegg.com.

9. dazey thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmnph....pulled it apart to have a look and have discovered that my MBP predates serial ATA optical drives so I guess I am stuck with what I have got until I upgrade machines. I could have sworn it was newer than that

10. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

There are a couple of inexpensive IDE SSDs out there, like the Transcend ones. Might make a nice boot disk.