Anyone tried Cowboom?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KieranDotW, Apr 20, 2012.

1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    I'm looking into buying a refurbished MacBook Air and I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about cowboom.com or bought from them.The site is a subsidy of Best Buy that sells used, refurb, and open boxed products at discounted prices. I was curious because their prices seem to be lower than Apple's refurb store.
    If anyone has tried them out, do you know if their refurbs are refurbished by Apple? This is the first time I've bought anything refurbished and I'd hate to get anything sub-par.
    Thanks!

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Personally I don't trust anything to be an actual refurb unless it comes from apple. Otherwise it could just be used. Plus that way you know it got looked over by the company that made it. That's just me though.

In any case, if it's a company under best buy might I suggest contacting them and asking about it? They'd probably be able to give you details about what kind of stuff they sell and why they are priced the way they are.

3. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Search for "cowboom" here and you'll find many threads. Most people seem pretty happy with what they got. They do have good return policies if something does go wrong.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I purchased a 2011 Airport Extreme Base Station from them. Seems to be fine. Apple even set the purchase date to the date I bought it from Cowboom (i.e. Best buy) so even though it is refurbished (i.e. used) I have a 1 year warranty. I'm happy with the transaction overall. It was over 25% cheaper to buy a refurbished unit from Cowboom than from Apple (although with Apple I didn't have to go thru the headaches of getting my item registered and proving my purchase date).