Anyone tried Dead Space 2 on a Mid 2010 15in i5?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devilstrider, Feb 8, 2011.

1. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Thinking about picking it up and running in through bootcamp windows partition. Just wanted to know if anyone else have tried it.

2. The5thElephant macrumors newbie

I have a similar question.

I want to run it on my Mid-2010 17 in. i7 but I am worried I will have to sacrifice too much graphics for it to run smoothly or be worth it (I hate running games on really low graphics settings).

Anyone try it out on their Windows partition on an i5 or i7 yet?

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

game-debate.com rates it as virtually unplayable due to the 330m GPU.

4. kgallag1 macrumors member

dead space 2

I'm running it on my i7 17" macbook pro and it runs just fine. I use the equivalent of medium settings in Windows. I've even had it working in Crossover and in Parallels (lower settings). Runs like a charm

5. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Interesting...the stock 330m is below the minimum requirements for the game, and Apple has underclocked it even beyond stock, so I'm a bit surprised that it runs that well. It wouldn't be the first time a game ran below the minimum requirements, but they're usually only playable at very low settings/resolutions.

7. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

Funny how it could be unplayable on the 330m when I could have swore that people have this running on the new MBA.

8. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

you gotta be kidding me.
    i couldn't even play League of Legends at LOWEST settings in parallels... although it was a c2d with 9600gt but still, parallels sucks for gaming, you shouldnt count on it.

9. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Don't believe anyone who suggests Parallels for gaming with any newer titles. It runs terribly slow, even compared to native OSX ports of games, which are slow as it is.

I've never seen proof of it running well on a 320m GPU, even though I did see people claim it. Judging by the fact that some older games run like crap on the 320m, I would doubt it to be true. I'd try it on mine, but in typical EA fashion, there's no demo.

10. wippler macrumors newbie

Test it here: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com

And who said 330M is below minimum requirements, that would just be suicide for game companies if they set min requirements that high. These are the system requirements extracted from Steam listing.

System Requirements
    Processor: 2.8 GHz processor or equivalent
    Memory: 1 GB RAM (XP), 2 GB RAM (Vista or Windows 7)
    Hard Disk Space: At least 10GB of hard drive space for installation, plus additional space for saved games
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better (7300, 7600 GS, and 8500 are below minimum system requirements), ATI X1600 Pro or better (X1300, X1300 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements), 256MB Video Card and Shader Model 3.0 required
    DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c

P.S: I dont know if 330M is a better version of 230M, but I would assume given the number bump. And my Sony VAIO with 230M comfortably passes the minimum requirements. I couldn't run and test it as there is no demo for the game.

11. darkeartg macrumors regular

that's weird, mine plays at high setting perfectly... the game is so scary

i have an i7 playing on bootcamp though

12. crispy12 macrumors member

I have a mid 2010, 13" MBP 2.4ghz and I run it in 1440 resolution (clamshel mode attached to 24" monitor). Graphics set to medium, in bootcamp Win 7 with the latest beta drivers (much better than those on Apple CD).

Very smooth, no lag whatsoever! Very scary though, I only play for an hour at a time :p

Thumbs down to all you saying it's unplayable! I think the developers did a very good job of this port, compared to GTA 4 which lags so much more.

13. Treeman574 macrumors regular

This is why I only use game consoles for gaming, it would cost too much for me to get a good computer for gaming and graphics/ uni work.