Anyone tried Motion 3 or Colors on MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murc585, Feb 19, 2008.

1. murc585 macrumors regular

I have a white Macbook with the 2.2ghz C2D, 4gb of ram. Does anybody know if motion or colors would work with my laptop? Its brand new, so i have the gma x3100, is this good enough for final cut studio 2?

2. grailarbor macrumors newbie

i dont know about final cut studio 2, but im running final cut express on an identical machine and it runs like a breeze

3. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Not gonna be pretty.

4. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Bah, it'll be fine. I'm running FCE 3.5 and Shake on this 1GHz, 512MB machine.

5. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

In comparison to what? Your own MBP (with identical hardware)?

6. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Some of us don't like to do 5 loads of laundry and go shopping for renders to finish. Hell some of us might even like to get some work done.

7. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

In comparison to any machine that has dedicated graphics. Motion particle effects on the fly renders are heavily gpu dependent.

Do you have an apple store near you to try this for yourself?

If you already own a macbook, then that's one thing but if you're trying to decide what the best purchase is please do yourself a favor and pick a machine with a dedicated gpu.

8. kpmc macrumors newbie

Not very well...

MacBook with 2Ghz CPU and 2Gbyte RAM:

Simple stuff works ok. Formats larger than PAL/NTSC DV are disabled. Things get slow in 3D and very slow with 3D particle generators.

Lighting doesn't work at all - even exported sequences.

Warning: Once you start playing with Motion 3 on your MacBook you will get the irresistible urge to splash out on a Mac Pro with all the trimmings - resistance is futile!

9. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

I tried motion on my MBP and it slowed down quite a bit when doing some 3d stuff.

Color is a definite no go on a laptop- the basic specs list 2 monitors as recommended specs, with 1920x1200 res and a high end graphics card. I guess it might be better with the new MBP's doubling of v-ram.

10. tstreet macrumors newbie

tstreet

No Problem

I edit for a living and I am running FCS 2 on my new MBP 2.6 Penryn, which has the 1920x1080 screen. Every program in the studio works great on my new machine.

Final Cut works perfect, editing on a firewire 800. Motion is fine, yeah it will get a little slower when working with 3D, but not bad at all. Color actually works just fine, 2 monitors are suggested but definitely not needed. It just makes everything easier to look at and work with with two monitors.

Livetype works great as well as as DVD studio pro.

That has been my experience thus far.