Anyone tried radeon 7990 with mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jani81, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Jani81 macrumors member

I know it needs external powersupply also but i just wondering does it work with mp?

2. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

There's no real Crossfire support in OS X, so if you managed to get it to work you'd just be using a single 7970 in OS X.

With Windows and AMD'S Catalyst drivers you can manage to use it though.

3. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

You know, I wonder: If they actually do have Xfire in the nMP (which is doubtful, but still)... could we port the software to be used with the 7990?

4. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Yes.

5. DLary macrumors member

The 7990 does not require crossfire as both processors are on one card.

6. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

My old 4870X2 had both GPU's on the same card, linked via PLX chip. Xfire drivers were still needed to make both cards work together.

7. DLary macrumors member

It doesn't need a crossfire enabled motherboard. It would work as a single GPU card under OSX and as a dual GPU card under Bootcamp/Windows.

8. zerocool42 macrumors newbie

It works exactly the same as two independent cards. There is a PCIE switch to provide both chips PCIE access and traces on the PCB for the internal crossfire bridge, exactly like two physical cards.

9. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

No one said it needed a xfire mother board, what it does need is xfire drivers, aka Catalyst drivers. Which do not exist on OS X sadly. Without those, and programs/games that support xfire you will only be able to use a single GPU on the card. So you'll have 7950-7970 performance instead of 7990.

10. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

This.

11. MattieGee macrumors newbie

AMD 7990 Graphics Card

Hello I am very need to graphic's cards. And I am very interested in getting the 7990 to work on my Mac Pro. I have the latest Mid 2012 Six-core 3.33GHz model. I read all these comments, but how does one mod the computer with an external power supply? Is there a way to put it inside the case? Also how does one wire it? Does one need to mod the wiring? Could anyone of you nice people link me to all the products I will need for this upgrade? I have three Cinema Displays and would like to do Crossfire with this on my Windows side on bootcamp. I already have it setup but not in crossfire, because I have the stock card. Also, would I need to flash the video card to make it work on Windows? If so I don't even know how to do that. I am a noob with this all.

I would appreciate it if one of you helped me out.

12. MattieGee macrumors newbie

If I just used the AMD 7990 instead of the 5770 stock card would this work? And does it fit in the case with the stock fans on it? Also would I need to get an external power supply? Because I have and will connect three Cinema display ports to it.

13. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

The information you need about fitting a secondary power supply to the optical drive bay is in the second post in THIS thread.

14. caymandrew macrumors newbie

Hmm. I've added a Sapphire 7990 along with my 5770 and I can not get 10.8.5 to see it? Yes, I've added an external power supply. The fans spin up, it appears to be working, but osx doesn't detect nor does Windows in bootcamp. Did I miss anything or did I get a bad card?

15. sxanthony macrumors newbie

Did you ever get this working ? OI would think with the dual gpu support in 10.9 .1 this would be really fast on FCP . I currently have a 7970 and am going to put a second 7970 in although a single 7990 might achieve 80%-90% the same performance

16. artherd macrumors member

Anyone have any luck with a 7990? We're in 10.9.4 now.

17. MacVidCards Suspended

Hmmm, 10.8.5 should have drivers for 7950.
    Here's my guess, this guy had a PC power supply and flipped the switch to "on" but didn't do the paperclip trick. 3/4 of people who write us with additional PSU issues don't understand that a PC power supply, or even the dedicated GPU ones need a "trigger"

In any case, it should have been detected in windows. Not showing up at all screams "not powered" to me.

As far as OSX, it would take all of 30 seconds to look up device Id of 7990 and see if it is in the AMD kexts. If it is, it should work in OSX.

If it isn't, it's possible that adding it will allow it to work at some level.

Hint: search for threads on 7850, I posted a how-to many moons ago. Same kexts.

18. artherd macrumors member

Thanks for chiming in. I know jack about kexts and device IDs (Would I need the card to find the deviceID?)

I wonder how fake-able all this would be? Is the 7990 literally two 7970s with a PCIe bridge in between, or is it something different?

I have a feeling you're right about the PSU issues, nobody seems to get the whole motherboard power switch thing.

19. chrisrand macrumors member

Mr. Rominator (MacVidCards),

Do you know of any confirmed HD7990 Mac Pro users? The prices on these cards have dropped far below the price of two r9 280x's and would really like to see its performance in AE rendering.

Thanks

20. sagenumwoben macrumors newbie

Hd 7990

hey guys, does anybody got news if a HD 7990 is working under OS X 10.10.3 ?

If someone assist me, i would by one and work as a guinea pigs ! :)

contact me via Skype "mitchipitchi" !

21. Macinsquatch macrumors member

I'm wondering that too, there is a good deal for one on craigslist.

22. MacVidCards Suspended

23. Macinsquatch macrumors member

I'm just looking for any confirmation on this card working before I pull the trigger on a used one. Even used they aren't exactly cheap. I'm assuming that initial cost of ownership is why nobody has tried this and posted results, especially with the titan coming down in price.

24. sagenumwoben macrumors newbie

tomorrow a friend comes around with a Gigabyte 7990 and we do some test´s.

Additional Tips ?

25. artherd macrumors member

Any luck? I bought one, and the machine core dumps on boot. Not what I was expecting. Maybe I have a dud, it was a used/e-bay deal.