Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
It's just like any of MS's remote desktop tools.

FYI (Maya is Mac native as well) but to answer your question, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

I've used remote desktop to run 3dstudio max (latest version) But for rendering and performance sake, I'd suggest running Maya on your iMac. It won't look very pretty remotely.

djwazzy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2004
What's a good program out there that does the opposite of this (control Mac computer from Windows). I know there's VNC, but are there others? Will Microsoft release a RDP client for Mac?

inertiat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Do you mean it'll lag? Are there any other ways to get my PC screen and hardware on my iMac screen?

Btw, which version of Maya works with Leopard? I know that 2008 doesn't, but how about 8.5?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, RDC is excellent. In an RDC configuration, the host (i.e. the Windows PC) does all the computational work. I think there may be some algorithms that allow for graphical elements onscreen to be transferred as elements (and not bitmaps), so that graphics can be accelerated, but other than that, the computational work is done remotely.

What this means is two things:

- If you do offline calculations like rendering on a remote computer that is faster than yours, you'll see a speed benefit.

- The more visually intensive a program is, the more poorly it performs in a remote desktop environment.

I've primarily used RDC over the internet. On an intranet, to give you an example, it's typically fast enough to do most office tasks and basic graphics, but you can't play video on it effectively (just as an example). In a very simple intranet setup (e.g. gigabit ethernet and just a few clients on the network), you might get better results.

So if what you're after is to speed up non-realtime / offline calculations in Maya, you're probably fine. If you're thinking that you'll benefit for realtime stuff in Maya because of the better graphics card in the PC, you're probably on the wrong track.

What's a good program out there that does the opposite of this (control Mac computer from Windows). I know there's VNC, but are there others? Will Microsoft release a RDP client for Mac?

For Mac as host / server, the built-in server is fine to use. VNC is the protocol to use on the client side. If you have the Apple client software, use it. Otherwise, there are different clients; many people like one called Chicken of the VNC (CotVNC).

As for Microsoft releasing a client... they already provide a client for their protocol (RDC), linked above. They're not likely to release a client for Apple's protocol -- that would be Apple's responsibility. But there are plenty of Windows VNC programs.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Do you mean it'll lag? Are there any other ways to get my PC screen and hardware on my iMac screen?

Btw, which version of Maya works with Leopard? I know that 2008 doesn't, but how about 8.5?

2008 should work with Leopard. 8.5 definitely works. I'm currently running 8.5 and it works GREAT!

2008 has some minor issues (unsure if the newest service pack fixes them) but it DOES run from what other users have posted.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
RDC is great, but for your application, I'd rather run the program on the local computer (i.e. Mac or just sit at your PC). It's not great for graphics intensive apps, but if this is on a local gigabit network, it might be okay for you. I use RDC constantly at work, but only to run business type applications. It's saved me from having to install windows on my macbook.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
RDC is great, but for your application, I'd rather run the program on the local computer (i.e. Mac or just sit at your PC). It's not great for graphics intensive apps, but if this is on a local gigabit network, it might be okay for you. I use RDC constantly at work, but only to run business type applications. It's saved me from having to install windows on my macbook.

I most definitely agree with this sentiment which I think I did mention earlier.

It should work but rendering will not be up to snuff. Get the Maya for OSX and run it locally. If you want to push your new vid card on your pc, then do it AT the pc. If your not expecting quality results and can stomach the slowness then it would be good for just polygon/vertice editing. Rendering a quality picture will work FINE on the machine itself, but streaming it might be slow and not look at good.

You might have to goto the machine to see the quality picture.

If you run flat shaded it will work but yah I guess the proper term would be lag.

Good luck to whatever you go.

inertiat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Cheers for the response, guys. I'm glad to hear 2008 is actually running! Do you reckon the iMac will handle animation and playblasts? I'm only doing that and basic modelling at the mo on my PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.