Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I just downloaded Second Life and tried it a bit. I don't really understand what your meant to do though.

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
I tried it. Lurked for a while. Saw how addictive it could get for anyone with a virtual fantasy life, and promptly trashed it. I can't think of anything that blurs reality and virtuality as scarily as that site. There are schools that are using the interface for real on-line courses and community; the Vancouver police department (I think I just read that) is recruiting through Second Life.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I would LOVE to get it. But every time I try, it doesn't work.:( (I don't have a paypal account, and my cell phone provider is not on the list)

You don't need to pay any money to get started though (or use a cell phone)?

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I actually had to play it for a while for a uni subject last semester. Big waste of time if you ask me - there just isn't much to do from what I could gather. Very interesting to study though, particularly the concept of immaterial labour.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
This is my second life.

Anyway, it's not a game. There is no point to it except community, self-expression, building and selling stuff. Bit like life, really. ;)

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
It is exactly what it claims to be - your Second Life. How seriously you want to take it is up to you. I only found a bunch of naked people who didn't know what they were doing either.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
You need to verify yourself through Paypal/credit card or phone. I got to that stage and thought "nope" and deleted.

I haven't been on it for a while so that must be a new thing. Never had to do it before. Maybe it became a rule after all that nasty stuff happened.

A gartner research report suggests that Virtual Worlds - or the 3-D web - will be in widespread use by 2009-2010.

A recent virtual world centered on the Barbie Universe got something like 3 million users in a month, with 50,000 new people a day.

Facebook is the thing this year, virtual worlds touted for some time in the next couple of years.

Patrick425

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2007
I was gonna, but then realized, why would I walk around in a virtual world and go places and meet people, when I could just do it at home? So I just don't bother.

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
I thought I'd check it out and so far I have absolutely no clue what to do. And some dude came up to me and stole my damned clothes. Go figure I'd get mugged my first minute in a new town. :rolleyes:

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
vicious7 said:
I thought I'd check it out and so far I have absolutely no clue what to do. And some dude came up to me and stole my damned clothes. Go figure I'd get mugged my first minute in a new town. :rolleyes:

This game seems pretty open ended. Can you kill people and go to court and stuff?

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I tried it, but I couldn't decide which was more fun, hanging out at IBM Innovation Island or Coke Virtual Thirst Pavilion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.