Anyone tried Second Life?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gadgetgirl85, Jul 17, 2007.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I just downloaded Second Life and tried it a bit. I don't really understand what your meant to do though.

2. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I tried it. Lurked for a while. Saw how addictive it could get for anyone with a virtual fantasy life, and promptly trashed it. I can't think of anything that blurs reality and virtuality as scarily as that site. There are schools that are using the interface for real on-line courses and community; the Vancouver police department (I think I just read that) is recruiting through Second Life.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I would LOVE to get it. But every time I try, it doesn't work.:( (I don't have a paypal account, and my cell phone provider is not on the list)

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

You don't need to pay any money to get started though (or use a cell phone)?

5. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I was bored one day, so I downloaded it and tried it. Don't really get the point of it. It is interesting to read about people making a living on there though.

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I actually had to play it for a while for a uni subject last semester. Big waste of time if you ask me - there just isn't much to do from what I could gather. Very interesting to study though, particularly the concept of immaterial labour.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You need to verify yourself through Paypal/credit card or phone. I got to that stage and thought "nope" and deleted.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Geez

that's just silly,

i heard SL doesn't run well on a Mac, or maybe that was just on a Macbook...

i'd like to try it..

9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i downloaded the client too. it seems to be really complicated.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I didn't know it was this big....I'll pass on this but interesting none the less. I'll have my go at it when its little(big) bro is released for free on the PS3.

Bless

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is my second life.

Anyway, it's not a game. There is no point to it except community, self-expression, building and selling stuff. Bit like life, really. ;)

12. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I have a Second Life, and I log on occasionally. It's fun for about an hour a week.

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

It is exactly what it claims to be - your Second Life. How seriously you want to take it is up to you. I only found a bunch of naked people who didn't know what they were doing either.

14. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I haven't been on it for a while so that must be a new thing. Never had to do it before. Maybe it became a rule after all that nasty stuff happened.

A gartner research report suggests that Virtual Worlds - or the 3-D web - will be in widespread use by 2009-2010.

A recent virtual world centered on the Barbie Universe got something like 3 million users in a month, with 50,000 new people a day.

Facebook is the thing this year, virtual worlds touted for some time in the next couple of years.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

16. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Sadly, its stupid name means most people have that reaction. It would get a lot more traction if it wasn't called "Second Life"...

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I finally got it to work; just a little laggy on 512 MB.

I don't know how to earn money though, so I'm kind of stuck.:eek:

18. Patrick425 macrumors member

I was gonna, but then realized, why would I walk around in a virtual world and go places and meet people, when I could just do it at home? So I just don't bother.

19. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

I thought I'd check it out and so far I have absolutely no clue what to do. And some dude came up to me and stole my damned clothes. Go figure I'd get mugged my first minute in a new town. :rolleyes:

20. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

This game seems pretty open ended. Can you kill people and go to court and stuff?

21. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I tried it, but I couldn't decide which was more fun, hanging out at IBM Innovation Island or Coke Virtual Thirst Pavilion.