Anyone tried Snow Leopard on a 2007 2Ghz MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by caspartheghost, Aug 31, 2009.

1. caspartheghost macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm running Tiger, quite happily, on my '07 2Ghz/ 2GB MacBook (the one with the 667Mhz bus).

I avoided Leopard as I'd seen it running on a friend's similar machine, on which it looked and felt slower to use than Tiger. Having read that Snow Leopard is faster than its predecessor, I'm wondering whether it's now time to upgrade?

But has anyone here tried SL on a MacBook similar to mine? I don't want to upgrade if it's at the expense of performance - but I'd like the newer version of Mail and a few other things.

Any advice/ feedback appreciated.

2. krypticos macrumors regular

well i never had tiger on my macbook i have always had leopard. but i can say that sl seems a lot faster the leopard. my macbook is 2.2ghz with 4 gb ram. i think it was worth the 30 bucks, but you would have to get the 160 dollar mac box. so if you would want the 300 new features of leopard and a few new stuff no sl like screen capture in quicktime x, and playing videos just from the icon is nice. plus with snow leopard safari is suppose to be 64-bit. also with snow leopard safari the crashes that i used to have in leopard i dont have now. thats all i can really say. sl=faster to me than leopard. hope this helps.

3. caspartheghost thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info - I get the impression it might be worth the upgrade.

Apparently you can upgrade from Tiger with the $30 pack - but Apple isn't widely advertising it.

4. Tshapi macrumors regular

My Two cents!

I bought the late 2007 blackbook 2.2 i just upgraded to SL from L. there is a post further up, that pretty much explains that MB's are restricted from booting in 64bit and will only boot in 32bit because they are consumer laptops!

I have also read people saying that you can load SL from the $29 dollar direct from tiger. but they are trying to encourage people spend more money because the $169 dollar set has ilife and i work all that stuff ready for SL!

my suggestion is to read all the reviews like i have, and make your own decision.

safari 4 is blazing fast! i dunno if tiger can use safari 4! i downloaded it on L and noticed an immediate speed difference right away!!

5. mbtalle macrumors member

I upgraded from Tiger and it works like a charm!

6. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

DO IT! lol. Yes you can upgrade from the $29 disk, but you won't have iLife. I want to do this on my wife's blackbook, but she has so much random crap on there & it's so unorganized that I think it would be a pain, plus she likes Tiger just fine. It's 3 yrs old, I'll just wait until the hard drive goes out or something else happens...

7. caspartheghost thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so I went to talk to the guys in my local Apple Store. In a very honest move, one of the main guys there said that if I was looking for outright performance, I should probably stick with Tiger on my MacBook (which is rev 2,1).

I think I might spend the cash on upgrading it past 2GB RAM instead - I'm much more interested in speed than OS features, and I'm happy with the way everything works on my machine right now.

(Oh, and I can strongly recommend the Western Digital 7200RPM laptop drives to anyone who's thinking about it. I put a 250GB one in my MacBook about six months back and its been fantastic - incredibly fast to boot up.)

8. TigerFever macrumors newbie

I've got a Blackbook from 07 as well, the Summer revision so 2.16, 2 GB of RAM, 200 GB harddrive and I upgraded to Leopard and Snow Leopard day 1. I can say I'm really pleased with both of them, Snow Leopard runs probably a tiny bit faster than Leopard did, but I never noticed a huge difference between Tiger and the new ones in terms of speed. I'd really suggest upping yours to 2 gigs of ram (super cheap and I haven't needed more yet) and getting Snow Leopard. Preview (spacebar), better spotlight, some UI tweaks all really make it worth the measly $30 price tag :)

9. dubels macrumors 6502

I am running SL on a 2006 2ghz macbook with 2gb of ram. It runs perfectly fine. I actually did not notice any speed decrease from moving from Tiger to Leopard. SL seems a little bit faster than Leopard but I dunno it might be a placebo effect. BTW Tiger was fine but the new features of Leopard and the $100 refund from my iPhone purchase that year made me upgrade to Leopard and I haven't looked back.

10. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

If your running tiger I would say its defiantly time to upgrade..

11. cropduster macrumors newbie

Assuming the $30 disc is the same as the £25 upgrade disc I have (I'm sure it is), there's a way to do a clean install.
    Boot with SL DVD in holding down option key until you get boot options. Boot from SL DVD. Get to the point where it asks you which disk to install to & go to Utilities menu & open Disk Utility. Format disk. Exit Disk Utility & that takes you to prior screen. Choose HD you just formatted & install SL :)

I had Leopard before & created a Time Machine backup, then immediately after installing SL, used the Migration assistant to copy over all my apps & settings from the Time Machine backup. Took about 2 hours all in. I realise you can't do that last part from Tiger, but that may help those with Leopard.

Richard

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If I were still on Tiger, I'd definitely upgrade to SL.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

$40 on RAM, $29 on Snow Leopard = huge improvement for $69.

But do be aware that older versions of iLife (Tiger era) aren't going to be supported. So, while if I were you, I'd do the double upgrade, be aware that some software you use could require updating to run correctly with Snow Leopard. Assess your needs and factor that into the price.

Either way, boosting the RAM to 2GB is definitely worth it as a first step. My daughter uses the same machine as yours (w/ 2GB RAM and a newish 160GB HD), and Leopard runs just great on it. I'll upgrade it to Snow Leopard this weekend.

14. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I'm running SL on a 2GHz MacBook C2D, 2GB RAM. Running perfectly smoothly