Anyone tried Solidworks on the new Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dennisje182, Oct 20, 2008.

1. dennisje182 macrumors newbie

Hey there
    I wondered if anyone has tried Solidworks 2008 on the new 2,4 ghz macbook. Does the new graphics card have any positive effect on rendering and modelling in solidworks in general?

Grtz

2. roo2b2 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've been wanting to know this too!

The closest info I found was from the post on this page

See the post from nedriedelengineering on 15 Oct

I've been losing sleep over whether to get the heavier, larger MBP or the lighter MB because of Solidworks and Rhino! Usage will be light to moderate, so I'm assuming at this stage that the MB will be sufficient...

Another page seems to be quite up to date, with soft-mods available for MBP however this was one month before the new range of MBs and MBPs were released...

3. dennisje182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I ordered the new alu MB with 2,4 ghz. With 2 GB RAM (going to update when the kits are cheaper). I'll have it in about 2 weeks.....So i'll let you know

4. dennisje182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it all up and running on my alu macbook. It's not too bad, it's not incredible fast, but it is better than my 1,73 Ghz windows laptop. It runs better in bootcamp than parallels or vmware.
    I read about a softmod of the videocard so that it thinks it is a nvidia Quadro (anybody got more info on this??) This softmod would enable realview in solidworks

5. aizik.boaz macrumors newbie

solidworks

hey
    so after a while you'r using the combination of solid & mac, how is it?

6. dennisje182 thread starter macrumors newbie

on boot camp it works fine, didn't get the softmod to work (maybe someone else). But when trying to run it with VMWare it runs pretty slow and the graphics aren't that great either, so if you have to do some serious stuff, i recommend running boot camp.