anyone tried test driving macs in store to avoid yellow screen returns?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RyanUS, Aug 14, 2011.

1. RyanUS macrumors newbie

First off, hi everybody my name is Ryan.

I plan on buying a 27" 2011 imac 3.4 i7. Im just going with the 1tb hdd and hope to upgrade to a sdd via thunderbolt in the next year or so.

I want to make this happen tomorrow. My concern is the yellow screen issue. Can I test my computer in the store for the yellow screen issue? I'm thinking I'll just go in and buy one, test it out in store, and return it immediately if it doesn't pass the test. Anyone else done this? Will they let me do this? Is the return immediate as far as credit back onto the card? Any other suggestions on the matter would be appreciated!

I'm moving back to college and there isn't an apple store for 100 miles. I don't have time to drive back and forth to return or be without a computer because I had to return ship it.

Thanks everybody

2. bushman4 macrumors 68000

When you buy in store they offer free set-up, At that point you can check the yellow, pixels , etc. If they don't let you check it, DON'T buy it simple as that.

3. RyanUS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    whats the best way to check for dead pixels?

4. MrT-Man macrumors regular

My favorite way is opening itunes, going to a playlist, & then you get the alternating white & grey bars. Make it full screen, and get rid of the "Ping" window (if it's there) on the right side. I find the yellow stands out pretty obviously (on yellow-screened macs) with that test. Also test it out with the brightness lowered to 50% because that's likely how you'll be using it at home most of the time.

There's also the "2009 imac screen test" (google it) that's pretty good, but I think it requires flash.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

They will let you open/test it *after* you've purchased it. If you chose to return it and leave, they will submit the refund before you leave the store, but it's up to your card issuer as to how quickly they will make the funds available.

If you want to return it and try another iMac, they should do a single transaction giving you credit for the old iMac, and charging you for the new iMac. The net of the transaction should be $0, and you won't have to wait for any refund to be credited by your card issuer.

6. claimed4all macrumors 6502

They offer the free setup in the store, they actually insist on it to make sure you get it going with any initial issues. But I really think these yellow screen issues are blown out of proportion. I know over a dozen people that have new imacs, and none of us have yellow screen or dead pixels.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Not to be a killjoy but have you checked with your local store to see if they carry the i7? Most Apple Stores do not so I'd hate to see you make the trip for nothing.

8. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Seems that if you have to go looking for it you would have never known in the first place if it existed?

9. RyanUS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone
    Ya my store carries the i7 model.

10. dead flag blues macrumors member

I have a 2011 iMac 27" i7 that looked pretty good in the store, underneath the bright lights. At home, the bottom row is a tad yellow. I'll take it back (again) this weekend, and get a new one.
    I hope that the third time is the charm!

11. MrT-Man macrumors regular

No -- it's just that, as the last poster said, there's a difference between what's readily apparent in the store in 2 mins of inspection under the bright lights, versus what becomes very apparent once you're at home sitting in front of your computer for hours on end.