Anyone tried the BETA on the 3GS?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by mabaker, Jun 13, 2012.

1. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

I'd be interested in the performance it gets. :confused:

Thanks!

2. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

Running it now. It's got some light lag to it. Although I'm used to os5 with Speed Intensifier from Cydia so I dont remember non jailbroken iOS5 on the 3GS. The main issue is sending an email. I hit send and it sits for a while, acting like it's froze then shows it send like 5 times although only received once. Idk if that a 3GS thing or os6 thing.

I'm using it daily till I get tired of it. One thing I remember from os5 beta days was that they got a lot faster and smoother as the betas went one. For a first beta this is pretty rock solid.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I think you might want to refresh your memory.
    The iOS5 betas were all over the place.
    One update was an improvement for iPhone 4 uers but a mess for 3GS users.
    The next would be the reverse.
    One beta improved battery life, and the next was a nightmare.
    One beta would fix some apps and would break others.
    Just go back and read all the threads.
    A steady consistent improvement it was not.

4. jnl1211, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

Should I copy and paste my reply from the other thread you complained about my recollection of os5 betas or do you want to just read it in the other thread?

I'll do it anyway:

Seeing as I used every single one and for me as they went on the lag diminished and the smoothness returned.

5. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Yes, it's about as slow as I remeber it being (remember, even iOS 3 on the 1st gen iPod touch is slow).

Even on my 4S, it's slower, so I'm not really concerned. Overall, I'm just making sure my workplace apps work, lol.

6. pk7 macrumors 6502

I updated my now old and unused 3GS to iOS 6 beta 1 just now.

I am actually finding it a bit smoother and zippier than iOS 5. I did an "update" in iTunes to iOS 6 so all my apps and settings are there. It doesn't stutter or hang as much.

While I may be on Airplane Mode without a SIM, I can say that the standby battery times have improved greatly, and usage time is improved as well. I can't attest to that with an active phone service on a 3GS though. I'd imagine there'd still be a bit of an improvement.

7. mabaker thread starter macrumors 65816

mabaker

That's encouraging. Thanks.:D

8. mabaker thread starter macrumors 65816

mabaker

Any news on Beta 2 on the 3GS? How is the old mate holding up? Improvements?

9. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Performance and Battery life is great on the 3GS but some nice features have been omitted because of its spec I presume.

3D Maps
    VIP & Flagged Mail

Here's a few examples

10. cadetandrew macrumors newbie

For 3GS users that have iOS 6 beta 2, did you just do a casual update or did you set up your phones as new first?

I was considering doing that, since my Phone's had 3 operating systems on it before now. Do you guys think I should set up my phone as new so it has blank iOS 6 when it comes out?