anyone tried the hdd upgrade bundle from owc?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by heyp, Jun 26, 2008.

1. heyp macrumors 6502

i'm looking at upgrading my macbook's hdd and thought it would be nice to take the old hard drive and make it into an external... has anyone tried this http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/HM320JIMFWU2/ or similar upgrade bundle? would you recommend it?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I have - in a way. I upgraded my wife's Macbook and put the original drive in that very case. It's just a hard drive and enclosure - nothing special about the "Upgrade Bundle" name

3. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i was thinking more in terms of value... is this the way to go if i want more hard drive space or would an external be better?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well the convenience of having a larger internal to minimize the number of times you need to lug around the external (although small and without a power cord of course) still has me sold on the internal upgrade. That way you lose nothing since you can still use the old drive as external when needed.

In addition to the bundle that my favorite Mac parts supplier OWC sells, watch your ads from Circuit City and Best Buy too. They have been running specials on the Western Digital 250 Gb Passport Essentials external drives for $99. Using one of these (and probably others, but I have done this with two Macbooks and WD Essentials) you have the best of both worlds. The 250 Gb drive in them is a WD Scorpio 250Gb SATA drive- perfect to replace the internal in you MB. So, just open it up and pull the drive out- then pop it in your MacBook and put the old internal you just pulled out back in the WD External case and you have it made with a 250Gb internal and a smaller external as a bonus!

5. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the heads up... how difficult is it to remove the hard drive from the passport?

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Not difficult at all- a bit trying on the nerves the first time as the case makes some unpleasant noises as you figure out how to open it up (if I were home I would post a couple of pictures of how to remove it but won't be able to do that for about four more days) but once you have it open the drives just slides right out. You basically just have to pry the two sides of main part of the "clamshell" open and slide the whole inside out, then reverse it once you have put your old internal back into the Passport case. Just email or PM me and I can shoot you some pics the middle of next week as I have one on my desk I need to swap when I get home.

7. pjashley1 macrumors member

I've used that bundle before and had no problems whatsoever!

8. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

i installed this successfully this weekend... thanks again for the tip... it was a bit interesting getting that thing open...i wasn't sure if i would be able to put it back together because i was sure i broke something, but to my surprise, i popped the old hard drive in there without a problem

9. mizelly41 macrumors regular

mizelly41

I am glad I read this post. I was considering upgrading my Macbook's hard drive so that I could move all my music to it. I currently have my music stored on a PC which means my iPod (maybe geting an iPhone) has to sync with the PC. I have about 20GB left on my Macbook and I have about 20GB of music. I am trying to delete some of my music (I have ALOT that I don't listen to or haven't even heard of) to free up some space, but it will still not leave me with much room on my Macbook if I were to move everything over right now. Getting this bundle will let me move my music over, keep my old hard drive as a backup, and get rid of my PC. :p Thanks for posting this bundle. It is already on its way to my house.

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Sounds like that will take care of business! :D Good luck with your project!