Anyone tried the Magic Jack ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fab5freddy, Aug 1, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Has anyone tried the Magic Jack Voip phone service ?
    If so, is it any good ?

Also considering getting the Ooma.....

2. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Magic Jack is not that good in my opinion in talking to my friends on the phone who use it. Maybe it will get better over time.

3. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I use Skype all the time. It works great, I have a Skype-in number which is a physical phone number associated with my account so that people can call me just like any other phone. Costs about $40/year. I have a monthly plan that is unlimited US & Canada for $2.99/month. And I can of course make unlimited skype-to-skype calls. I'm really happy with it. I've got a cordless handset system so it rings and works just like a regular phone.

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

yeah, i guess Skype might work. I'll consider that.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I use T-Mobile @Home which is a little more expensive at $9.99 a month but it runs independently from the computer. Not to mention all US calls are free.

6. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

MagicJack is sketchy at best. I heard about them recording your convo's then using that data to solicit you.

7. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

X2, magic jack is really about having your data to sell, and the phone is just the excuse, remember, "If it is too good to be true, then it is too good to be true".

8. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Isn't that what Google does ?

Google scans all your data and sells advertising to you......

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

How do they get past wiretap laws?

mt

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

If this is really something they are doing, I image they get past them the same way any other company get's 'past' laws. They break them and don't care.:D

11. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

To avoid breaking any laws there's probably a clause in their service agreement, buried on page 972 in microscopic text, by which you agree to this practice.

12. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Anyone else have hands on experience with the Magic jack ?

13. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

This has GOT to be an urban legend. There's no way they can circumvent wiretap laws. You can't sign a contract that allows someone else to break the law. Doesn't work that way.

You have to be notified in advance that your communications are being recorded. That's federal. Some state agencies (911, police, etc.) get around it by having beeps sound in the middle of the conversation. I don't believe that's been rigorously tested, but no private company and certainly no telephone carrier would get away with routinely recording calls.

Any lawyers lurking?

mt

14. justinm macrumors member

My friend had it and it sounded fine to me. The only problem I saw was the app for the computer had to be open all the time or else you can't receive calls.

15. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

16. SkeffMBP macrumors member

I've got the Magic Jack right now, and I can't complain. I looked at all of the VOIP services there are and Magic Jack seemed to be the cheapest of the bunch. As a previous poster mentioned, the app has to be open to make and receive calls, which is the only downfall, especially since we have our Magic Jack plugged into my fiancee's laptop. There are a few minor inconveniences as well, such as not having the caller ID shown on the phones (only on the computer) and our names do not show up on caller ID's as we call out. But is it worth $20 a year? YES.

17. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

They don't record your conversations. That would cost them more. Then it's worth. Even if it was legal for them.
    Magic jack is mass marketed. Selling millions of units world wide. Wallmart even sells the magic jack. Thats why it's sold so cheap. Yes their are beter options out their, such as Skype. Just not as cheap.

My sister has a magic jack. That she uses with her macbook. She likes it and has had no problems with it.

18. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Thanks guys for your advice.

Still can't decide whether to get Skype Out or a Magic Jack ?

What's better for travelling with a laptop ?

19. pmcb macrumors member

i personally use skype. can you use the built in mic and all that on magic jack or do you have to use there converter bpa thing?

and free skype to skype calls definitely comes in handy when you're over seas.

20. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Does anyone have both Skype and Magic Jack ?

What's better ?

21. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Just download Skype and give it a try. You can use it for free for computer to computer VOIP and video. Then if you want to, you can sign up for Skype In.

It's great, easy, and free. A no brainer.

22. oopsiedoop macrumors newbie

MagicJack blocks calls at whim

I am not sure whether this is legal or not since the FCC says it is but VOIP is unregulated at present. I cannot call free public conference call lines at certain numbers. You CAN NOT make any call you choose, even domestically.

23. bluerose macrumors newbie

Traveling

I took my netbook & my magicjack with me when i went to the Philippines last year. As long as the internet connection was ok, the magicjack worked fine. I also have ooma. I use the magicjack for traveling, and the ooma is great for home. Ooma is a lot more complicated to install. Just plug in the magicjack. I work on a mac & a pc. The pc will show the caller id in the phone. For $1.17 a month, how can you go wrong. I have 2 of them, and I paid for the 5 years for both. Gayle