Anyone tried the NIK plugins w/Aperture on the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmcnelly, Jun 20, 2012.

1. rmcnelly macrumors regular

I just had a confusing chat with a support person at NIK software. He initially denied anything needed to be updated for NIK software to display properly on the rMBP and stated everything would work fine. I kept asking if their software was updated to take advantage of the retina display. His final message to me was NIK software was updated for the newest version of Aperture (as Aperture was updated for retina) and implied the NIK apps would look good.

Anyone tried this yet?

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The plugins work, and they work fine. They just aren't written for retina specifically. Then again, it doesn't matter unless you are hacking for high res. The most important thing is that the plugin just works.

3. rmcnelly thread starter macrumors regular

I guess what I'm asking is will they be the same sharp text, tools and image as within Aperture? Since they seem to open as separate apps and save back to Aperture. I love the NIK plug-ins but it would be a shame if they were just pixel doubled.

4. rmcnelly thread starter macrumors regular

I discussed this with Josh Haftel, Sr. Product Manager at Nik Software in the dpreview forums and I quoted AnandTech's description of how Aperture handles the Retina display. According to AnandTech, Aperture scales the text and tools windows for smoothness yet the image window can be at native resolution.

"Here Apple is scaling the UI elements like the menus and widgets on the screen (backing scale factor = 2.0), but displaying the open image unscaled (backing scale factor = 1.0). As a result we can fit almost an entire 2880 x 1800 image on the screen without zooming out. Remember the backing scale factor isn’t global, individual elements on the screen can be scaled independently depending on their purpose."

Josh reported they had not got their hands on a rMBP yet, but replied:

"Thanks, and we've provided feedback to the team about this already today. We do want to make sure to take maximum advantage of the new screens and will certainly look into what this may mean for the user interface of our software titles."

5. terrymaz macrumors regular

Im hoping they update quickly to support it as well. I use NIK and Aperture a lot